X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Evil Twin
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh
    It's not at that level, but I did have a job in the early 80's for a while that involved a number of 90+ hour weeks. That's just exploitation; no other word for it. Things ebb and flow a bit here, it's also depended on the manager- at least though I sometimes work insane hours during the week, for now I'm keeping my weekends. Otherwise...
    And now the local Moff is in a panic over his lack of technical knowledge and a new request late Friday afternoon from an Apple engineer, and believes the only solution is for Mr. Marsh to work this weekend on a new problem and cancel or re-route at the last minute a business trip planned to start Monday morning earliest.

It may be time for a "go to the Sithlord" discussion with this incompetent cousin to captain Needa.
    DFAL
    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• Evil Twin
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Dennis H
      Bah, you guys and your fancy tools. Real manly men build speakers with a chainsaw and a pocket knife. I'm sure ET would have some words of warning for those who use tools as a crutch for the lack of proper focusing of The Force.

Spoken like a true man.... in my youth on Tatooine I used to build folded horn bass bins for playing in the cantina with nothing more than a saber jigsaw and an old school protractor. Next were frontloaded horns with only adding an nearly broken radial arm saw to create the plywood kerf cuts and the most miserable excuse for a router you could find in that part of the galaxy....

You must be able to sense the flow of forces and the correct geometry- without developing this "feel" and innate precision, it is an impossible task to to tune a pod racer engine or assemble your first light saber.
      DFAL
      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• bigg
        • Jun 2009

Bosch Router

OK. So my Bosch is better than the Porter Cable. My Bosch is relegated to the router table. Great motor but the switch is iffy. In the router table the router motor's switch stays on and the table's switch is used to turn the unit on/off. So no problem there. The new Bosch routers are supposed to be better because they have a dust proof switch. I guess I will eventually get a second Bosch. :T

Please no comments about Dewalt, Milwaukee and Craftsman. Been there, done that. I like my Bosch better.

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

You can disassemble and clean the switch on the Bosch... Been there (have I said I hate MDF?)
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by cjd
            You can disassemble and clean the switch on the Bosch... Been there (have I said I hate MDF?)

Only a few dozen times- you're having trouble getting the point across, I think... :W
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• bigg
              • Jun 2009

Hate MDF

Originally posted by cjd
              But why? Why do you HATE MDF? :scratchhead:

Comment

• TacoD
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2004

It doesn't taste good....
                Last edited by JonMarsh; 19 July 2009, 07:52 Sunday.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Quite true!
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JoshK
                    • Mar 2005

I hate MDF because even with a dust collector and air filter the dust gets everywhere in my basement shop. I am going to stick with BB for the foreseeable future even if it costs me an arm and a leg.

The other option is to set everything up in the backyard. But I am not lugging my TS out of the basement.

Multiple routers here too. Hitachi M12 in the bench dog router table. Porter Cable 600 series with plunge and fixed based. That one is setup with the jasper circle jig currently. Then I have a Grizzly chinese job that is actually smoother than the PC and less loud too. It is a bit underpowered and a pain to setup but I have it setup with a flush bit.

Comment

• bigg
                      • Jun 2009

Doesn't anyone wear a dust mask anymore? :scratchhead:

Comment

• kingpin
                        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by bigg
                        Doesn't anyone wear a dust mask anymore? :scratchhead:
                        After getting violently sick a few times after working with mdf I made sure to buy a proper mask that filtered things like phemaldehyde.

Once that stuff starts getting in your system it's all over. lol

Mike
                        Call me "MIKE"
                        "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
                        "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
                        CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
                        CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
                        "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
                        Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Speaking of MDF dust...

I finally got finished with the BS work thing about noon today- a day and a half of my weekend flushed-

I've gotten the sides and backs grooved and rabbeted- at least I got to do something fun before I start packing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ArdentRabbetBack.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	936586

Due to the stringent dust abatement laws in CA and our meticulous dust collection, there was no environmental release of MDF dust, however, to make Chuck happy, I used some CGI and touched up the picture, creating the illusion of sawdust from the ongoing labors. Spent more time on the CGI than the actual wood cutting, so I hope it's convincing. :B
                          Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 11:52 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• CupCak3
                            • Oct 2007

recessing a brace I'm ASSuming???

better get out the shop vac b/f someone calls Arnold!

Comment

• JonP
                              • Apr 2006

Should we worry that Jon's last post was his 6,666th? 8O

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

Impressive... most impressive.

You alone have identified this most significant event- one which will be marked in history much as the Trade Wars with Naboo and the Separatists was, and the other machinations of Darth Siduous.

With this post, his repressed identity as the Chancellor will begin to emerge, and the circle will become complete. As I was once the student, then the master, so shall he too become a master- but not necessarily of his own destiny....
                                DFAL
                                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• JonP
                                  • Apr 2006

And what mysterious confluence must it signify... that with that announcement I see that the Evil one's count became 444??? 8O

I'm getting out of here before it's 2:22....

Comment

• bigg
                                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by kingpin
                                    After getting violently sick a few times after working with mdf I made sure to buy a proper mask that filtered things like phemaldehyde.

Once that stuff starts getting in your system it's all over. lol

Mike
                                    Hey Mike,
                                    Is your dust mask one of those painter style masks? The ones that run about $50.00? :roll:

Dust , dust and more dust! It's in every nook and cranny in my work area! I haven't been sick yet, but it's not a place I enjoy working in anymore.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                      • Oct 2005

Hey Mike,
                                      Is your dust mask one of those painter style masks? The ones that run about $50.00? :roll:

Dust , dust and more dust! It's in every nook and cranny in my work area! I haven't been sick yet, but it's not a place I enjoy working in anymore.
                                      Throw on a dust mask and get the leaf blower out. Your neighbors will love you for it. :B

Comment

• kingpin
                                        • Jun 2006

Hey Mike,

It was actually about $70.00.
                                        It's more of a chemical mask than a dust mask I suppose.
                                        But it works great. I hated masks at the beginning but better than the alternative.
                                        Call me "MIKE"
                                        "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
                                        "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
                                        CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
                                        CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
                                        "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
                                        Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• bigg
                                          • Jun 2009

I've seen them in the hardware store. They certainly look like they would do the trick! Another item for my new shop shopping list.

Comment

• Lurkalot
                                            • Dec 2005

MDF Dust and Health Hazards

The principle hazard with MDF is that the size of the airborne dust particles are very small, and can easily make it past the primary defences of your respiratory tract. Conventional paper dust masks (the white ones with elastic straps we all use) are ineffective against particles this small. The amount of formaldehyde that would off-gas during the cutting proccess is really so little that it is not a concern . What you need to protect yourself is a properly fit-tested 1/2 mask cartridge respirator fitted with HEPA cartridges. These are purple or pinkish in colour, and widely available at any safety supply company. These filters are highly effective at capturing a minimum of 99.97% of all dust particles of .3 microns in size.

I do not recommend buying an "off-the-shelf" cartridge respirator, as without fit-testing, the effectiveness of the respirator is highly suspect. Our lungs are worth $50 or so, which is all such a respirator costs.

Build Speakers Safely

Comment

• bigg
                                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Lurkalot
                                              The principle hazard with MDF is that the size of the airborne dust particles are very small, and can easily make it past the primary defences of your respiratory tract. Conventional paper dust masks (the white ones with elastic straps we all use) are ineffective against particles this small. The amount of formaldehyde that would off-gas during the cutting proccess is really so little that it is not a concern . What you need to protect yourself is a properly fit-tested 1/2 mask cartridge respirator fitted with HEPA cartridges. These are purple or pinkish in colour, and widely available at any safety supply company. These filters are highly effective at capturing a minimum of 99.97% of all dust particles of .3 microns in size.

I do not recommend buying an "off-the-shelf" cartridge respirator, as without fit-testing, the effectiveness of the respirator is highly suspect. Our lungs are worth $50 or so, which is all such a respirator costs.

Build Speakers Safely
                                              Thanks Lurkalot.
                                              I will definitely check those out. It doesn't seem to make much fine dust if I do all cutting by hand. But it's very hard to get a perfectly straight and square cut. I'm building a set that way now. I don't know if the results will be any good. I love working with wood, I'm just not that good at it.

Comment

• chasw98
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Jan 2006

Kind of quiet around here.... Anybody home? Are you just relishing your 6,666th post for a while or are you in Borneo advising some slack jawed engineer on how to deposit silicon film on an other worldly rare element substrate? Maybe you are just working on Photoshopping some sawdust on a picture of yourself standing next to a freshly cut piece of bamboo? Touche, mon ami!

Comment

• Hank
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Jul 2002

Doesn't anyone wear a dust mask anymore?
                                                  We make several different masks that are quite effective, depending on what you're filtering. Not my division, so can't quote a model number best for MDF dust, but the Orange store carries different models.

Jon is helping Apple figure out how to shrink their video chipset so that their next video product will be even smaller. Never mind that it will be too small to be useful - APPLE has spoken, and Jon has jumped. tsk, tsk

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Hank
                                                    We make several different masks that are quite effective, depending on what you're filtering. Not my division, so can't quote a model number best for MDF dust, but the Orange store carries different models.

Jon is helping Apple figure out how to shrink their video chipset so that their next video product will be even smaller. Never mind that it will be too small to be useful - APPLE has spoken, and Jon has jumped. tsk, tsk

Actually, I'm working on the make it bigger department... but I cannot discuss, for the obvious reasons... :W

BTW, Hank is right- 3M has great mask products, just ordered a 3M 7162, for when I'm doing finishing on the Ardents. ET has this all built in, of course- makes him a "natural" in the shop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	31NiU53epKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	936587

But at least now I'll be able to help. :B
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 11:52 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                    Natalie P
                                                    M8ta
                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                    Isiris
                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                    Calliope
                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                    Modula PWB
                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Jul 2002

Thanks for the plug, professor.

And yes, bigger is better. BTW, my outfit is working on LED illumination digital projectors, extracting maximum lumens out of LED's with proprietary sauce.
                                                      Uh-oh, gotta run - here comes narc Thomas 8O

Comment

• ---k---
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Nov 2005

Hank,
                                                        Maybe I'm all wet, but based on my experiences with masks gained from numerous safety classes and getting one fitted for a mold remediation job, it seems like there is a lot of bad information floating around the net. I sometimes think that our zealousness for overkill extends to overkill in safety. I usually just make sure I have a N95 rated mask and call it good enough for me.

If at all possible or practical, I would really appreciate it if you could find out from one of the experts in your company which exactly is the right mask to use.
                                                        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                                        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                                        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• benchtester
                                                          • Sep 2007

Actually, I'm working on the make it bigger department... but I cannot discuss, for the obvious reasons... :W

BTW, Hank is right- 3M has great mask products, just ordered a 3M 7162, for when I'm doing finishing on the Ardents. ET has this all built in, of course- makes him a "natural" in the shop.

Click image for larger version  Name:	31NiU53epKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.6 KB ID:	936587

But at least now I'll be able to help. :B

Ooww Ahh!

I need one of those, I am always getting sawdust in my eyes; even with eye protection. :T
                                                          Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 11:53 Monday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• Hank
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Jul 2002

Ryan, all I ever wear with MDF is an N95 mask. Frankly most problems I hear about are from people not fitting the mask correctly. You really have to put pressure on those metal bands to form-fit the mask tightly around your nose. That said, I am not an expert, so I just sent the MDF question to a technical contact in that division.
                                                            I like the face mask for dust-in-the-eye protection too, but it's warm to hot in my garage and I'd sweat like a pig in one of those.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Nov 2005

Ryan, all I ever wear with MDF is an N95 mask.
                                                              :T If it is good enough for Hank, it is good enough for me! Ignorance of the truth is bliss.

Looking forward to hearing the response from your technical support. I appreciate you asking.
                                                              - Ryan

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                • Aug 2000

Ryan, all I ever wear with MDF is an N95 mask. Frankly most problems I hear about are from people not fitting the mask correctly. You really have to put pressure on those metal bands to form-fit the mask tightly around your nose. That said, I am not an expert, so I just sent the MDF question to a technical contact in that division.
                                                                I like the face mask for dust-in-the-eye protection too, but it's warm to hot in my garage and I'd sweat like a pig in one of those.
                                                                The 7162 has replaceable cartridges and is designed to handle volatile organics- ie for doing my lacquer spraying. It's overkill for MDF dust, but would certainly work, apart from the comfort issue with high ambient temperature.
                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                Natalie P
                                                                M8ta
                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                Isiris
                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                Calliope
                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lurkalot
                                                                  • Dec 2005

Respirator fit-test procedure

You can do a seat of the pants cartridge respirator "qualitative" fit-test with some banana oil ampoules (isoamyl acetate, available at the safety supply stores) and a friend's help in a few minutes. Simply don the respirator equipped with organic vapour cartridges (colour-coded black, used for solvent -based finishes) , and have the friend crush the plastic ampoule and then slowly wave it directly in front of each cartridge. Have them repeat the process while slowly moving your head side to side and up and down. Finally repeat as you sing Happy Birthday for 10 seconds in your new respirator.

If you can smell bananas, you either need a different size respirator face piece, or your straps are too loose. You should not need to pull the straps too tight in orer to get a good seal either.

Remember to be clean shaven where the face-piece seals against your face. If all is well, put the HEPA cartridges on and start cutting MDF - your lungs will definitely thank you for it :>)

Comment

• Hank
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2002

Ryan et al, here's the tech's answer:
                                                                    "Any respirator with an N95 approval would be good for use against MDF . If, however, you find the dust concentration to be higher than 10 times the permissible exposure limit (PEL)for wood dust, then perhaps a full facepiece respirator would be more appropriate."
                                                                    Regarding that PEL for wood dust, here's an OSU paper: "Wood Dust Exposure Hazards": http://ohioline.osu.edu/aex-fact/0595_1.html
                                                                    Quote from that paper: "OSHA does not have a specific PEL for wood dust. However, the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) has established a recommended exposure limit (REL) for wood dust, all soft and hardwoods except western red cedar, of 1 mg/m3 as a TWA for up to a 10-hour workday and a 40-hour workweek [NIOSH 1992]."
                                                                    Note that this is all about people exposed to wood dust on the job, day after day, so I think I'm okay with an N95 basic mask.
                                                                    Now let's make some dust...hmmm, I think I smell bananas...

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2005

:T
                                                                      Thanks for that. It is reassuring. Might be a good item to add to our FAQ section, since it comes up often.
                                                                      - Ryan

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Mid weekend update

Just a post to indicate that no, I'm not out on the patio sipping a Pina Colada, enjoying the golden California sunshine in the 70's, but instead am slaving away- not much picture worthy going on yet, though.
                                                                        • Test finishing on scraps from veneered front panel is underway, with sanding, Behlen's Por-O-Pac applied and first coat of lacquer sanding sealer.
                                                                        • Midrange driver brace is re-designed, and partially constructed-should be finished later today.
                                                                        • Veneer flattening for sides and tops is well underway, in drying stages now
                                                                        • Spacer blocks for use at bottom of cabinet, same width as top panel, have been fabricated
                                                                        • Side braces have been "holed" and roundovers applied, ready for assembly
                                                                        • Whispermat cut for selected portions of enlcosure, to glue on to panels prior to box assembly
                                                                        • Maple for base is purchased, and design completed.
                                                                        • Other than that, just sitting around goofing off, trying to re-design my Mr. Fusion.
                                                                        • Decided against competing with Chuck in exposed belly speaker building porn
                                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                                        Natalie P
                                                                        M8ta
                                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                                        Isiris
                                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                                        Calliope
                                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                                        Modula PWB
                                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 1360

[*]Decided against competing with Chuck in exposed belly speaker building porn[/list]
                                                                          I am going to regret that picture for a long time. But I didn't photoshop it and I will let it stand! or sag depending on age and ice cream. :T

Comment

• ColoradoTom
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Feb 2006
                                                                            • 332

Just a post to indicate that no, I'm not out on the patio sipping a Pina Colada, enjoying the golden California sunshine in the 70's, but instead am slaving away- not much picture worthy going on yet, though.
                                                                            • Test finishing on scraps from veneered front panel is underway, with sanding, Behlen's Por-O-Pac applied and first coat of lacquer sanding sealer.
                                                                            • Midrange driver brace is re-designed, and partially constructed-should be finished later today.
                                                                            • Veneer flattening for sides and tops is well underway, in drying stages now
                                                                            • Spacer blocks for use at bottom of cabinet, same width as top panel, have been fabricated
                                                                            • Side braces have been "holed" and roundovers applied, ready for assembly
                                                                            • Whispermat cut for selected portions of enlcosure, to glue on to panels prior to box assembly
                                                                            • Maple for base is purchased, and design completed.
                                                                            • Other than that, just sitting around goofing off, trying to re-design my Mr. Fusion.
                                                                            • Decided against competing with Chuck in exposed belly speaker building porn
                                                                            Jon......

Good to hear progress is being made. My daughters bed was completed this weekend (came out really nice) and I'm finishing a side table for her bedroom and a coffee table for my wife. On schedule for speaker building in late August!!

Tom

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 15282

Good news, Tom! Actually finishing something is a pretty nice feeling, isn't it? :W

I plan to go full bore this week, let's see how far this takes me. The trouble with an intricate trick design is that it takes more work!

I'm pleased with how my finishing test is turning out- I really like what figured curly maple and birdseye do when the angle of light changes- it's like those 3D motion stickers, the tone can completely change, even invert- same for the quilted maple I'm trying for the tops. I realize the veneer I obtained is not "first class" for this kind of stuff, but it's still very nice. I've found another outfit and some other samples I may look into for the next project.

For a wires and sparks/electronics kind of guy like me, this is going pretty far out in the wood working direction- I'm certainly enjoying it, though. :B
                                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                                              Natalie P
                                                                              M8ta
                                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                                              Isiris
                                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                                              Calliope
                                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                                              Modula PWB
                                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ColoradoTom
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2006
                                                                                • 332

Good news, Tom! Actually finishing something is a pretty nice feeling, isn't it? :W

I plan to go full bore this week, let's see how far this takes me. The trouble with an intricate trick design is that it takes more work!

I'm pleased with how my finishing test is turning out- I really like what figured curly maple and birdseye do when the angle of light changes- it's like those 3D motion stickers, the tone can completely change, even invert- same for the quilted maple I'm trying for the tops. I realize the veneer I obtained is not "first class" for this kind of stuff, but it's still very nice. I've found another outfit and some other samples I may look into for the next project.

For a wires and sparks/electronics kind of guy like me, this is going pretty far out in the wood working direction- I'm certainly enjoying it, though. :B

Yup... I have the bed set up in a spare bedroom until we can get her old stuff moved out. It was a good feeling to see it all come together and to see the look on my daughters face when she actually saw it completed. Each project has its own learning curve... I'd done bent laminations before, but never on this scale.

I have some figured walnut that looks amazing when the light angle changes.... it is a crotch figure and it has browns, pinks, purples and a shimering quality that you can't really see unless you have the piece in your hand. I took the wood and cut it into veneers that I will probably use on drawer fronts on some future project. The piece of wood was originally a "throw-away" piece from the people that delivered the wood to my house. They had several five foot long boards that were rejected by a customer because they were warped and twisted - typical of crotch boards. When they made my delivery they asked me if I wanted the boards for firewood. After a run through the jointer and the planer I had some of the coolest looking figured boards I'd seen in quite a while! Makes me wonder how much figured wood goes to waste.

There is a place here in Colorado "B&B" that usually carries some pretty good veneers - don't know if you'll have time when you're out here, but they are in Golden. I'm pretty sure Genesis was using them for thier rosewood veneer on the higher-end models.

Tom

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 15282

Originally posted by ColoradoTom
                                                                                  There is a place here in Colorado "B&B" that usually carries some pretty good veneers - don't know if you'll have time when you're out here, but they are in Golden. I'm pretty sure Genesis was using them for thier rosewood veneer on the higher-end models.

Tom
                                                                                  That sounds like something to look into- if not on this trip, another one soon! This one looks to be VERY busy... :W
                                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                                  M8ta
                                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                                  Isiris
                                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                                  Calliope
                                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jun 2006
                                                                                    • 1140

Originally posted by Bear
                                                                                    I had a boss that used to say this, with a bit of a smirking laugh. About the fiftieth time I'd heard him say it, and after I ended up working more than 400 hours one January, I started to fear he really wasn't kidding (a good weekend involved half a day off, the January in question was simply absurd with 110+ hour weeks). I left the company shortly thereafter... 8O
                                                                                    My boss used to say the same thing.

3 months ago, he had two heart attacks. At 45 years old, its a miracle he survived them.

I think of him more like one of my closest friends outside the office. He's a great person. I passed quite some time with him at the hospital, and spent long hours talking about life, work, and our families.

We changed our work habits a lot.. and our way of thinking.

All I can say now is that anyone who is proud about working such long hours or doesn't think about its long term consequences really needs to consider the fact that eventually there WILL be a price to pay.

OK, rant over.
                                                                                    Javier Huerta

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 15282

Good rant, welcome any time!

A lot of side work yesterday, moving things around and setting up for the next stages, but did get a few things done....

• Epoxied midrange vibration braces into the front panel assemblies
                                                                                      • Ripped and cross cut side panel base spars, and epoxied to interior of side panels
                                                                                      • Fabricated veneer clamp blocks for upper bevel veneer
                                                                                      • Ripped set of side panels for second set based on Dayton drivers
                                                                                      • Did a dry fit test of back, sides, top, side braces, center brace, and mid enclosure
                                                                                      • More laccquer layers sprayed on finishing test blocks
                                                                                      • Run to Lowe's for 3M 90 adhesive and sanding blocks
                                                                                      • Completed update on CAD drawings with side wall base spars and midrange driver brace

Might have something picture worthy by tonight.... :W
                                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                                      M8ta
                                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                                      Isiris
                                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                                      Calliope
                                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Jan 2006
                                                                                        • 16075

Ah pictures would be amazing I look forward to them!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 15282

Ah, the sweet smell of epoxy curing and fresh 3M Adhesive 90 for attaching Whispermat II to MDF panels! That's what a great summer day is all about!
                                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                                          M8ta
                                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                                          Isiris
                                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                                          Calliope
                                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Feb 2004
                                                                                            • 1078

Do you also have plans to apply veneer on the Dayton version?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"