X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • riceaterslc
    • Aug 2006

who knows about AC power?

i don't know if this is the right forum to post in but i'll give it a shot.
    i recently moved into a new apt. i noticed when i was plugging my gear in i kept getting small shock when i touched anything metal. the first couple times it felt like a metal splinter and i thought i had a jagged edge on my components. each component was plugged in, but nothing was on. i was just hooking up the A/V cables.

my original thought was that the 220-120 converter was causing problems, my surge protector read 122-124 volts, which seemed a tad high. i didn't think much of it since everything works fine. however, this morning i was playing around with my water cooler (220v) and while reaching on the backside to find a switch i got juiced again. its not a one time static charge zap, its a every time i touch the thing i get hit kind. this ruled out the converter theory.

i know nothing about AC power, but it seems like there may be a bad ground somewhere. hopefully the landlord will be able to figure it out.. what are you guys thoughts? thanks in advance.
    chris
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Get a certified electrician in there pronto. Do not touch stuff. It sounds like you've got very mucked up wiring. If the landlord balks, get one in there yourself and send the bill on after they agonize about the terrible wiring.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

i know that if you do that with wet hands in the right way your dead

Comment

• riceaterslc
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by peterS
        i know that if you do that with wet hands in the right way your dead
        thanks for the tip! i stopped licking sockets at the age of three after i lost my sense of taste and my eye started to twitch :E :P

on a more serious note the electrician came yesterday and it indeed was a bad ground. one of the wires in the wall had its insulation cut and was causing all the problems. all is well now
        chris

Comment

• peterS
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

I wasnt being facetious
          thats about as dangerous you can get

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"