X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krips
    • Sep 2007

Tempest-X2 Sealed Build

I just unpacked my Tempest-X2 and am excited to get my plans finalized so I can get into the shop once it gets above freezing. My dimensions I am willing to allocate are 36"x18"x18" HWD. It will be powered by an O-Audio 500w plate amp which is already on the way. I plan to have double thick (1.5") walls on all cabinets, and a separate partition for the amplifier (I read that this was a good thing?). Here is my best attempt at a sketchup of what I was picturing. What do you all think of this? I'm thinking total volume would be around 4cf not including the bracing.

It looks like the O-Audio plate amp adds 3db at 20hz at a certain high-pass, making the f3 30hz and at f7 at 20hz. Max SPL should be 114db. Any input would be appreciated.
    Sharp LC-42D64U
    TriTrix MTM (Sealed)
  • Bear
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2008

Without running my own Unibox simulation, that sounds right, though maybe a bit on the big side. You can vary the stuffing in the box, as well, to affect the tuning. Also, something like a Behringer Feedback Destroyer (BFD) or a MiniDSP can be used in conjunction with Room EQ Wizard (REW) to further tune the system. What you would want with either outboard would essentially be to trade your peak SPL for a smoother, wider response band.
    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• BobEllis
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

You might want to adjust the amp's high pass filter to minimize the boost provided by the high pass filter. Looking at the app notes for the Tempest X2 http://www.diycable.com/main/pdf/TX2Apps.pdf you don't need any boost at all but 1 dB at 20 wouldn't hurt. The supplied ~3 db boost @ ~30 Hz would cause boominess. You're in between two of Kevin's suggested alignments, so expect an unequalizes F6 a little less than 20 Hz.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"