X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loner
    • Nov 2005

802 Matrix 3

Hi all.......

What's your opinion on these older speakers? How does the matrix series compare with todays series? Thanks.
    Denon AVR 3803, Denon DVD-2900, Denon DCM-560, Samsung Monitor, Yamaha TT-400U, Yamaha K-222, Panasonic PV-V4525S

Swans 6.1's Fronts, Swans C3 center, Swans R3's rears, SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer, Cables - Neotech, BetterCables and Blue Jeans
  • goffriller
    • Jan 2006

I had them before I bought my 802ns.
    I think they are great speakers for their time- a little more "dry" in the highs than the newer ones but if you don't compare them to better ones,you're happy. They are excellent tools in the service of music.
    I haven't heard the 802ds, but I have already decided to buy them - maybe in a year.
    In the meantime tmy 802ns are just fine.
    Goffriller

Comment

• Loner
      • Nov 2005

Thanks for your reply. Do the matrix 802's sound good down low or are they lacking? The specs say they're -3 db at 42 hz.

Would you say they're good for both music and HT?

Just trying to get as much info as I can. Thanks.
      Denon AVR 3803, Denon DVD-2900, Denon DCM-560, Samsung Monitor, Yamaha TT-400U, Yamaha K-222, Panasonic PV-V4525S

Swans 6.1's Fronts, Swans C3 center, Swans R3's rears, SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer, Cables - Neotech, BetterCables and Blue Jeans

Comment

• goffriller
        • Jan 2006

I used sound achors for them which make the bass pretty flat. I'm a classical musician by profession and frankly, even the 802 Matrix were good enough for me, even though I am currently drooling over the 802 D.
        I have no experience with HT. I just judge these speakers for their nuetrality. THis becomes, (IMHO) a receding target when the source material is electronically produced with pure commercial ends.
        G

Comment

• worldys
          • Dec 2005

i had a pair at one point, they are an amazing value on the used market, detail and imaging are wondrful, nice bass extension, i think b&ws high fequencies are smoother (less sharp) in the matrix compared to the nautilus, when you compare the 802s3 to other b&w's at that used price point (1600-2000) like the cdm9nt, 703/704, you are getting so much more with the 802s, i had to get rid of mine because my wife thought they looked "80's", but otherwise i would still have them, i would even take them over a pair of n804s (but not n803s)

s

Comment

• RNKC
            • Jun 2005

Matrix is great. Nautilus is noticeably better. Diamond is better still.

The thing I find with Matrix is the midrange sounds a bit compressed relative to Nautilus. In general I prefer the Nautilus sound, but it's hard not to be happy with Matrix.

For the record, Dad has Matrix 802 on his home theatre and I have N802 on mine. Then again, Dad also has N801 on his main audio system - now those are very very nice speakers! I was surprised how much better they were than 802.

Comment

• Loner
              • Nov 2005

Thanks guys.......... :T

Why do the matrix 802 weigh considerably less than todays 802's? Also, I know it's not ideal, but will a Denon 3803 drive the 802 matrix 3's? What center channel could I use if I had the matrix 802's as mains?

Thanks!

Comment

• worldys
                • Dec 2005

the n802s have bigger thicker cabinets, that is where the weight is comign from

Comment

• Loner
                  • Nov 2005

Thanks folks!

Comment

• norpus
                    • Oct 2005

I am currently considering some 802 Matrix second hand (Series 2, 1997 build). Upgrading mains from 603 and had been considering 703 new.
                    What price range is reasonable for 802 Matrix second hand ?

Edit 6 weeks later, April 10

Glad I did not pull trigger on the Matrix 802. I took my favourite cd to listen to them (they were $3800 AUD - about $1500quid, 2nd hand) and I did not like them - the bass turned me off. I was very surprised myself as it was being powered by some way serious gear.The 80's look was acceptable to me, but the sound wasn't. I thought 703 sounded way better and decided to head toward that way within only 10mins. But I eventually spent a lot more on 802D and so glad I did
                    Last edited by norpus; 09 April 2006, 19:22 Sunday.
                    Cheers
                    Norpus
                    "He who dies first with the most toys wins"

Comment

• Loner
                      • Nov 2005

I've seen them on Audiogon for as low as $1700USD and as high as $2500USD.

Comment

• norpus
                        • Oct 2005

Thanks Loner
                        Cheers
                        Norpus
                        "He who dies first with the most toys wins"

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"