X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike c
    • Dec 2005

anthem or rotel - amp choice

now that I have my sub requirements fulfilled for the moment, I intend to buy either the 601 or 602 bookshelf speakers ...

the 602 is gigantic but only a few bucks more than the 601 ...
    I plan on using this as PC speakers but do not wish to buy OTHER options because I want this to be future proof in case I move the setup away from the computer.

I have many options for the amp but also wish for it to be future proof in case I use it in HT
    Rotel RB1080 (200wpc x 2)
    Anthem MCA 20 (200wpc x 2)
    or
    MCA 30 (180wpc x 3) -> in case I move the amp to my HT front LCR

does anybody have any experience with anthem? I realize rotel is very compatible with b&w and apparently has a damping factor of 1000 ... but talking to the local anthem dealer, he said rotel was below anthem in terms of quality ... is this true?
    Last edited by mike c; 31 March 2006, 01:10 Friday.
  • Clepto
    • Feb 2006

Does your local anthem dealer ALSO sell rotel? You might be getting bias based on what he sells...

Personally, I find Paradigm/Anthem to be similar to B&W/Rotel. I think Rotel might have a bad rap for being a bit more cost conscious though, but they balance that with performance for the cost.

Comment

• bulitnv
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Clepto
      Does your local anthem dealer ALSO sell rotel? You might be getting bias based on what he sells...

Personally, I find Paradigm/Anthem to be similar to B&W/Rotel. I think Rotel might have a bad rap for being a bit more cost conscious though, but they balance that with performance for the cost.
      There is a reason those companies similar. Anthem/Paradigm = same parent company I do believe, same with Rotel/B&W.

That being said, I found a dealer in San Bernardino Ca that had both Anthem and Rotel. I test drove them both in the shop for close to 3 hours. I have B&W 604s and wanted to buy the right equipment. I actually tested the Anthem components against the Rotel 1067 receiver. Believe it or not, the Rotel all in one receiver sounded better than Anthems seperates. I ended up buying Rotel components. To me, the Rotel and B&W was a better sonic match, as they should be.

Comment

• cuda65
        • Feb 2005

I have an MCA 30 that I like very much. Mine is matched with Paradigm speakers so I don't know how it will be with your speakers. I have been extremly happy with the Anthem. My dealer had Anthem and Rotel and I liked the Anthem better. Just my opinion.

Good luck.
        Doug

Comment

• mike c
          • Dec 2005

the anthem dealer did NOT sell rotel. it is normal practice here with all dealers to hammer at the competition ... get this original style:

I asked the rotel dealer what he thought about the comment of anthem re: rotel. he said "what is anthem? never heard of that company"

other original stuff I've heard is: "is that company still operating, I thought they were closing down"

anyway, thanks for the replies, I hope other people would chime in. especially those who have tested both.

Comment

• cuda65
            • Feb 2005

See if your dealer will let you take one home and demo it with you system. That is the best way to decide what you like better. That is what I did. How it sounds in your house is what matters. Good luck!
            Doug

Comment

• mike c
              • Dec 2005

oh, forgot to mention not ONE dealer here does that. its always ... money first before you get the item out the store.

Comment

• Clepto
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by mike c
                other original stuff I've heard is: "is that company still operating, I thought they were closing down"
                Well, in their defense, anthem was going down the tubes till the Paradigm parent bought them out...

Comment

• bulitnv
                  • Mar 2006

I can add that the Rotel/B&W is a warmer sound, Anthem/Paradigm is a brighter sound. It was too bright for my liking. Rotel sounded more natural to me.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                    • Apr 2006

My first post here. I work as an installer for a shop here in Idaho. We sell both Rotel/B&W and Anthem/Paradigm (as well as Classe, Krell, Wilson Audio, Martin Logan, Musical Fidelity, etc.) I am about to undertake this challenge myself. I am going to purchase a set of Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 and will decide which amp to use after I can audition them all in my home. I plan on bringing the Anthem P2, the RB-1092, Classe 2200, Musical Fidelity A5 home and running them through their paces.

I really hope the 1092 does it for me. I am all about new technology, and the uprising of the digital amps has me curious. I hope it can deliver, because it sure would be easier to move around and find a place for, etc.

And for the record, I own B&Ws.......a pair of black M1 for my PC with a Martin Logan Dynamo sub. They rock!!! :T

Comment

• grit
                      • Jan 2005

Oooh, I'd be interested to hear what you think. My (biased) vote is for the Classe!

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                        • Apr 2006

We had the B&W/Rotel/Classe rep in the store today doing Classe sales training. I sat in of course. Solid stuff I must say. I already knew this of course, but its fun to see it all again.

Also, Rotel has some nice new stuff coming down the pipe, as well as the 805D and a "Sig. 40" something or other. Some other cool things I wont leak. 5-6 CT systems sold and installed in the US.

Comment

• mike c
                          • Dec 2005

please keep us updated as to your rotel - anthem listening results in your home

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                            • Apr 2006

I will. But it will be a while.....maybe a long while. I have to buy a house first!

Then I will immediately start on the audio. I am going to throw a Classe CA2200 in the mix too for the tests. I have to! As well as a Krell 400xi. I figure I might as well try everything we have.

Comment

• Pookie007
                              • Apr 2006

I have the 803D mains and I was also debating between Anthem and Rotel. I also looked at Musical Fidelity since it was there. I preferred the Anthem Statement amplifier after 3 different listening sessions comparing them. Another benefit for me was the Anthem seem to remain much cooler than the Rotel. Since I have my equipment installed in a fully enclosed cabinet this was what put Anthem over the top.

Before you tell me the errors of my ways for closing my equipment in a cabinet, I also installed two Active Thermal Management System 1 ventilation systems. I get supply air from the basement, vent it through the cabinet, and exhaust to a different part of the basement. ATM told me only needed one system, but if one is good, two should be better, right? That logic works for my 10 year old daughter.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"