X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpina
    • Nov 2005

We are officially onboard - first b&w purchase complete

Hi all,

We have finally purchased our first set of b&w speakers - 705s with stands and aws750. Still boxed and probably will stay that way for a few more weeks.

Now that rears and subs are covered, we will need your serious help in deciding fronts and center. I know it's about listening with our own ears and trust us we have done this. Having said this we love to hear what other people's opinions are on different options

Looking forward to learning more from this fantastic group.

Cheers,

Julie
    My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

B&W Nautilus

Julie,

I recently purchased some 705's for the rear channels. I am very happy with them. They replaced some on wall B&W dipole speakers we had. Upfront, we have the N804's and the HTM1. These are the Nautilus versions, not the current S versions. The synergy that these display together is quite good, quite seemless. Depending on budget and room size, you might consider the 803S/HTM3S combo (of course, for even more funds, the Diamond versions would be very interesting). I would caution against a different brand for the front three speakers. In my experience, that may work for awhile, but eventually the differences become quite noticeable. The five speakers need to be close within the same brand.

Hope this helps.

PS Did you get the rosenut with black stands (I noticed you seemed to like this combo in another thread)? That's what we got. They look excellent together. I bought the 600 series stands (not the custom 705 stands). They were much less expensvie and worked out well with the 705's. Also, the 705's still bolted on to the 600 stands.

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

Will you use the system for 2ch stereo a lot? Or is this 5.1 HT only??

If it is for +90% "5.1", I would simply complete with the HTM7 and a pair of 704's (or 2 other 705's). The 703 has a FST mid-range so it might not integrate as well with the HTM7.

If it is also for 2ch stereo, lets say 50/50, it depends.. what is your budget range? Can you go 800 series in front? Maybe the 704's (or 705's) is the best deal.

The 704's should sound very nice backed up by a sub. That sub 750 is great by the way.

Comment

• dknightd
        • Mar 2006

Interesting way to buy a system - amps and rear surrounds first is not the way I would have done it (usually I'd suggest get the front three speakers first, then round it out with amps and surrounds), but never mind.
        You've got the amps to drive 804 fronts (with whatever they sell as a matching center) with no problem. I really liked the 804, wish I would have had the coin to buy them. 803's if your budget allows ;-)
        From everything I've read the 703 really doesn't have a good center match, so the next step down IMO would be the 704 (with whatever they sell as a matching center). I'm mostly a 2 channel person so can't advise on centers (my HT is a hodge podge of stuff, it works well enough to keep the family happy and I rarely use it so if they are happy I'm happy.) Since you've already got 705s, getting 704s would seem to make sense.
        Some people argue to use 5 identical speakers, with a matching sub. So another very viable option is get 3 more 705's. Again, this depends on how you plan to use your system - for mostly HT then small speakers and a sub is probabaly fine, if you plan to use it much at all for 2 channel music I'd suggest getting the best possible full range main 2 speakers (with maybe a sub if you like organ or electronic music - otherwise I'd just use the sub for HT, but that is my preference, and yours may not be the same).
        It's really all a matter of budget and personal preference. Since you've already bought b&w surrounds and sub, I assume you are looking at b&w fronts.
        I almost deleted this post since I really didn't have much that I thought would help you, but you never know, and since it is already typed I guess I'll hit submit.

Good luck, have fun, enjoy your new system

Jim777s question about intended use and budget is key. . .

Comment

• alpina
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by htsteve
          PS Did you get the rosenut with black stands (I noticed you seemed to like this combo in another thread)? That's what we got.
          Hi Steve,

Yes went Rosenut with black stands - Funnily enough we had ordered silver stands but changed our mind when we went to pick them up. They had a new pair in a box and after seeing a blk stand in a thread a few days ago our whole opinion of stand colour changed - previously we had not ever seen a blk stand, not eve in brochures.

As for rosenut, it was never up for debate

Cheers,

Julie
          My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• alpina
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jim777
            Will you use the system for 2ch stereo a lot? Or is this 5.1 HT only??
            Hi Jim,

Originally the plan was 90/10 HT listening but you guys changed all this along with the inceiling speakers that we originally intended to buy

we are now thinking 70/30 but this may change as time goes on

Budget range is a good question as we are probably 5000% over what we originally budgeted

As much as we liked the sound of dynaudios we dont see the point in matching brands - aesthetics are very important to us. Which I think ultimately leaves us with following choices for fronts:

1. 705s with htm7
            2. 805's with htm4
            3. 703s with htm4
            4. 804s with htm3

We have yet to hear the 4th combination but of the 1st 3, we preferred option 3, thought we were kindof hoping we would prefer option 2 from an aesthetic point of view.

So far has this obsession come for us that we are currently looking at integrating a dedicated 2ch preamp with an av receiver

Thanks,

Julie

Comment

• alpina
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by dknightd
              Interesting way to buy a system - amps and rear surrounds first is not the way I would have done it (usually I'd suggest get the front three speakers first, then round it out with amps and surrounds), but never mind.
              hi dknightd,

interesting it was the amps that screamed out at us the loudest when we went shopping, so we decided to start there and build the system around it. These amps are responsible for raising the bar and our overall budget

julie

Comment

• jim777
                • Mar 2005

My opinion is that you must match FST or not in front. This driver has a special sound, so if you have it for the fronts, you should have it for your center.

So I would suggest one of these. Get the best you can afford of course
                1 - 705 with HTM7
                2 - 704 with HTM7
                3 - 703 with HTM3S*
                4 - 805S with HTM4S
                5 - 804S with HTM3S

* Might want to avoid option 3 unless you are >90% 2ch, it mixes series and stuff.

BTW, any of these will be great with HT if you setup your processor OK (because you have such a great sub). I would take option 2 or 5 if 2ch is a priority.

Option 5 costs a lot more, but you get all FST's in front, so 5.1 music will be great

Comment

• Clepto
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by alpina
                  Hi all,

We have finally purchased our first set of b&w speakers - 705s with stands and aws750. Still boxed and probably will stay that way for a few more weeks.
                  Julie
                  STILL BOXED?!?

That's just... wrong (;

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2003

Julie,

Now for your Brystons and room there is (for me) really only the B&W 803S and HTM3S that you can consider... A fall-back would be the 804S and HTM3S - though (do a search and you'll see) many believe the 803S is the "sweet spot" in value for money in the new 800 series range...

But (and its a big but) you have to make sure that you don't think of using a receiver as a processor - get somthing decent - the Rotel RSP-1068 as a minumum with something like the Bystron SP-2 or importing the Anthem D-2 (I can tell you the distributor) being more like it... The 800 series will ruthlessly reveal the limitations of most recievers...

Geoff

Comment

• nyny
                      • Jul 2004

Julie,

Given that you are 70/30 HT, I would suggest getting the 704 + HTM7 combo. If you think that you might want to get into multi-channel musics some day, then your option #1 might be best.

However, as many had already pointed out, since you already have the Bryston amp (very capable amp), I would suggest that you go with your option # 4 or as Geof pointed out earlier, go with 803S and HTM3S combo.

I had extensive demo sessions with the 803S + Bryston 4BSST when I was upgrading my system and can definitely say that the Bryston will make the 803S sing.

Let us know how things turn out, cheers!
                      Tony

Comment

• jim777
                        • Mar 2005

803S and HTM3S, let's say that it is my option #6, I agree to that too. I just assumed that it was too much $$ so I didn't list it

Comment

• alpina
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                          Julie,
                          But (and its a big but) you have to make sure that you don't think of using a receiver as a processor - get somthing decent - the Rotel RSP-1068 as a minumum with something like the Bystron SP-2 or importing the Anthem D-2 (I can tell you the distributor) being more like itGeoff
                          hi geoff,

please dont throw 803s into the equation - at some pt we have to say enuf $$$

i thought the sp2 was all in one solution, why would i need the 1068 as well?

cheers,

julie

Comment

• Nolan B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by alpina
                            hi geoff,

please dont throw 803s into the equation - at some pt we have to say enuf $$$

cheers,

julie

I know my opinion on this got shot down by others, but am right on this. If dont plan on improving your room accustics a lot of money you spend on very high quality speakers will go to waste. Thats no an opinion, but a fact, so dont worry about choosing 803s.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Alpina
                              Sorry I mean either the 1068 or the Byston SP2 or the Anthem D2

Do some comparative listening if you can between the 803S and 804S - you will then know if the extra is worth it to you... In home theatre - I expect not, but in stereo (especially without the sub) - the difference is signifiant to my ears..

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"