X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chuck1801
    • Feb 2006

802D and hi-rez music

The "downside" of the 802Ds is that they make hi-rez media really shine. So the failure of hi-rez media, SACD and DVD-A, to gain widespread acceptance is really frustrating. Even with a hi-end player like the Ayre C-5xe, CDs just don't sound as good as SACD/DVD-A and the 802Ds make the difference very obvious. For example, I have both the CD and the SACD of Steely Dan's Gaucho and both the CD and the DVD-A of Two Against Nature. No contest. I would have bought the entire Steely Dan collection on SACD or DVD-A if they had actually been released as announced.

Its nice that there is at least a niche for SACD in classical and jazz and its good that CDs sound better than ever, but I have these awesome speakers and I want more than that. B&W should be using their relationship with Abbey Road Studios to get more music out on hi-rez. For that matter, they should be going to bat for us with all the other labels too.

Maybe we should start our own letter writing campaign. Who has the e-mail and snail mail addresses for these outfits?
  • jlr_1304
    • Aug 2005

I dont listen much to RB cd anymore.

Only sacd's

I'm buying as much as possible while it's still available.

Comment

• nkb
      • Mar 2006

Good point - equipment outpaces the content

The emphasis on perfecting audio equipment(and our obsession with it) has reaped serious advances but as you note, the source material has not followed.

I am about to pull the trigger on a major expenditure: 802D's, monoblock amps, etc. but unddoubtedly the weak link in the chain will not be my equipment.

Comment

• aphexist
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jlr_1304
        I dont listen much to RB cd anymore.

Only sacd's

I'm buying as much as possible while it's still available.
        So essentially what you are saying is that you care more about this technology and the equipment involved than actually experiencing new music. Since SACD is such a miniscule subset of all the music released every month, you must be stuck listening to quite a few new-age "concept" albums. Which is fine; it just seems kind of backwards to me.

Comment

• jim777
          • Mar 2005

I also find that SACD's often sound better than RB, so I'm in SACD mode until I don't find anymore interesting stuff in that format (will it ever happen..). Of course, a stupid band-limited PCM transfer to DSD like Norah Jones ain't going to sound better and it won't help the SACD format live...

Why don't disc companies make at least hybrid stereo SACD's and sell that as a "standard" instead of pure RB CD's. Ah, they would loose a penny or two per disc...

Maybe this "better sound" with SACD's has something to do with disc companies knowing that this format belongs to the "audiophiles" so they apply less dynamic compression, etc.

Comment

• james_dmi
            • Jan 2005

I cant see this situation getting any better while music is still being delivered on physical mediums. Although downloaded music is currently synonymous with poor quality mp3’s there will come a time where increased bandwidth will mean we can download 24bit 192Khz lossless compression files direct to our high-end music servers. When that happens it will cost next to nothing for music companies to relapse music in a variety of different bandwidths. I'm sure most music recorded today is at least in DVD-A quality it’s just we cant get access to the master tape quality with the current distribution system.
            James

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI James,
              Why can't you see the situation getting better? Technology continues to advance at light speed.

Sparky

Comment

• RNKC
                • Jun 2005

I don't own an SACD nor a DVD-A player simply because there isn't enough software out there for my tastes. I find it extremely difficult to find the source material on sale, and I live in a large city that offers pretty everything money can buy.

Having said that, I'm rather hoping that once the Blu-Ray / HD-DVD battle has been won, CDs will become a thing of the past and the record companies will release and re-release recordings in new "HD" format. In the meantime, I personally view SACD & DVD-A as stepping stones to that new format.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by RNKC
                  I find it extremely difficult to find the source material on sale, and I live in a large city that offers pretty everything money can buy.
                  And you probably never will find it there.

I live in a big city, too, and buying hi-rez recordings locally is nearly impossible. The hi-rez market, by its nature, will always be a relatively small niche market and will not pay for its floor space in a store. This will be the case regardless of the medium, so don't say it will change.

The internet market is the ONLY way to get a selection.

Kal
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• james_dmi
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Karma
                    HI James,
                    Why can't you see the situation getting better? Technology continues to advance at light speed.

Sparky
                    Hi Karma,

The situation I was referring to was the general availability of new music in above CD-Quality format, not in the technology behind these formats. I find it hard enough finding what I'm looking for on CD let alone on SACD or DVD-A. Because record companies don’t really care that much about the small market of audiophile buyers they won’t bother to re-release music in a format that most people wont buy. In my scenario I’m looking forward to a time where record companies no longer have to worry about extra costs and therefore will be more likely to offer music in high res.

One thing is for sure both SACD and DVD-A have failed to gain broad market acceptance and now manufactures like sony will be quietly dropping their SACD marketing and going all out on Blue Ray and what ever audio derivative that has its not going to get any better. DVD-A is no better and is soon to be replaced by DVD-HD-A or whatever they are going to call that. We will then have another format war which will mostly be fought in the Video realm. I don’t see much attention being paid to the audio side of things and therefore we will just get another repeat of the current situation.

What we really need is something that offers something worthwhile to the average consumer. Above CD quality output potential does not do this and is in-audible on the average persons system. Now music downloading does offer something to these consumers in that they can get instant access to music and all the other benefits like shelves getting filled up with countless CD’s. Now all that needs to happen is for high end manufactures to wake up and stop wasting R&D money on doomed formats such as SACD and DVD-A and instead build top quality Hard Disk based players with high res DACs and all the other considerations that are required to make a high end player. Then the music companies can offer music in compressed, CD quality and above CD Quality formats. They will want to have DRM in these studio quality downloads to stop piracy so we therefore need a proper standard for the players and file formats to adhere to. Unfortunately this is the last thing companies like sony want to happen they want to lock us in to proprietary physical formats so they can not only get royalties from the software and hardware but also so that they can control the distribution of music. Here they make huge sums of money which they can then waste developing acts that people need to be programmed through even more wasteful marketing before they actually buy them. If all music was downloaded then anyone could set up a music company and god forbid they artists themselves may be allowed to sell their own music!

Sorry for going completely off tangent and ranting on about the music industry. I answered Karmas question in the first sentence the rest was just me brain dumping.
                    James

Comment

• jlr_1304
                      • Aug 2005

Well, we are lucky in the MOntreal region with a lot of music stores displaying seperate displays with all SACD/DVD-A in the same rack.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2006

Well, we are lucky in the MOntreal region with a lot of music stores displaying seperate displays with all SACD/DVD-A in the same rack.
                        Sure but how big and how wide is the selection?

Kal
                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• jim777
                          • Mar 2005

I'm in Canada so I looked for something up here and I found grooveyard.ca - you can search for SACD's only (click music then SACD). They have quite a big (huge!) selection. The guy even says to e-mail him if he is missing something..

I don't think that many stores stock as much SACD's as them.

So that goes with what Kal said: "The internet market is the ONLY way to get a selection."

BTW I have no realtionship with them. I'm just a happy customer.
                          Last edited by jim777; 25 April 2006, 16:01 Tuesday.

Comment

• kchen
                            • Jun 2005

I know a web site sells a lot of SACD and some great CDs that you won't find at other locations. The shipping is not expensive. Their web site is www.adagioplus.com.

I have no realtionship with them. I just like to see more people buy SACD. It's the only way to keep the format survive.

Kevin

Comment

• jlr_1304
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                              Sure but how big and how wide is the selection?

Kal
                              Good question. I didnt really count, but depending of the store, must be between couple of 100's to near a thousand, but it would have to be verified.

It's better than 0 anyway.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2006

Good question. I didnt really count, but depending of the store, must be between couple of 100's to near a thousand, but it would have to be verified.
                                It's better than 0 anyway.
                                Mebbe it's a question of perspective. I have more than that and rarely can find anything locally that I do not have and yet want.

Kal
                                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• jlr_1304
                                  • Aug 2005

As a contributor, you must have all there is :B

I have about 40 sacd's, so the selection is always huge for me in a store.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2006

As a contributor, you must have all there is :B
                                    Not all, yet. :B OTOH, it is hard to keep up with them. I say this not as a boast but to point out that, despite all the bad news and naysaying, the small labels are still cranking them out.

Kal
                                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• jlr_1304
                                      • Aug 2005

Kal, do you know this particular one :

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2006

Kal, do you know this particular one :
                                        Nope but I just asked for a copy. Thanks.

Kal
                                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• jlr_1304
                                          • Aug 2005

Let me know. It's supposed to have great dynamic range.

Comment

• RNKC
                                            • Jun 2005

Well I just did a quick search on grooveyard.ca and adagioplus.com. I listen to classical music but on between the 2 sites, all I could find in my brief search was 3 CDs. That's pretty representative of my SACD searches thus far.

I would *love* to buy SACD or DVD-A, but I basically can't because there's nothing out there to buy. Sigh.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2006

Well I just did a quick search on grooveyard.ca and adagioplus.com. I listen to classical music but on between the 2 sites, all I could find in my brief search was 3 CDs. That's pretty representative of my SACD searches thus far.

I would *love* to buy SACD or DVD-A, but I basically can't because there's nothing out there to buy. Sigh.
                                              Are you saying that all you can find are 3 classical SACDs? I saw dozens more on a quick scan of adagioplus. Try www.SA-CD.net. Even try Amazon. There are thousands!!

Kal
                                              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• james_dmi
                                                • Jan 2005

Had a quick look through SA-CD.net. Things seem to be a bit better then last time I looked at the range of SACD's (there were one or two that I would buy) but its still mostly old and or very obvious big releases only. It’s not like your going to discover anything new. 402 in the rock/pop section is about what a Woolworths would stock CD wise and you wouldn’t go there to find new music....
                                                James

Comment

• RNKC
                                                  • Jun 2005

Update - I cruised through SA-CD.net (thanks for the link!) and found a fair number of SACD. Then I went to amazon.ca and found 239 classical SACDs.

This looks like an expensive proposition. Average price of an SACD is $21 (Canadian). Ayre C5xe universal player lists at $6000 US. The audiophile in me is urging me to go forward and go SACD. The realist is telling me to hold off since SACD is so obviously niche.

So once again, I find myself torn. Take the SACD plunge or don't? Sigh. This hobby kills me.

As an aside - I really really hope this HD-DVD / Blu-Ray battle is over quick and that the music folks jump on the HD bandwagon.

Comment

• jim777
                                                    • Mar 2005

Update - I cruised through SA-CD.net (thanks for the link!) and found a fair number of SACD. Then I went to amazon.ca and found 239 classical SACDs.

This looks like an expensive proposition. Average price of an SACD is $21 (Canadian). Ayre C5xe universal player lists at $6000 US. The audiophile in me is urging me to go forward and go SACD. The realist is telling me to hold off since SACD is so obviously niche.

So once again, I find myself torn. Take the SACD plunge or don't? Sigh. This hobby kills me.

As an aside - I really really hope this HD-DVD / Blu-Ray battle is over quick and that the music folks jump on the HD bandwagon.
                                                    Maybe some stereo freaks like me don't want any video near their audio at all

I got in the SACD bandwagon, but only because the new CD player I got had it (I don't think that it was a factor in my decision). Most SACD's sound great though. Might need at least Diamonds to see a huge difference though.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by james_dmi
                                                      Had a quick look through SA-CD.net. Things seem to be a bit better then last time I looked at the range of SACD's (there were one or two that I would buy) but its still mostly old and or very obvious big releases only. It’s not like your going to discover anything new. 402 in the rock/pop section is about what a Woolworths would stock CD wise and you wouldn’t go there to find new music....
                                                      Depends on what you like. I have about 1500 SACDs, the vast majority of them are new issues and I discover new music all the time. More every day.
                                                      Also, over 95% of them are multichannel, an important feature for me.

Kal
                                                      Kal Rubinson
                                                      _______________________________
                                                      "Music in the Round"
                                                      Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                      http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• jim777
                                                        • Mar 2005

Also, over 95% of them are multichannel, an important feature for me.
                                                        I'm stereo only and I wonder if sometimes if the SACD stereo track's sound quality is inferiour to the multichannel track. Not to name the infamous Norah Jones SACD...

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jim777
                                                          I'm stereo only and I wonder if sometimes if the SACD stereo track's sound quality is inferiour to the multichannel track. Not to name the infamous Norah Jones SACD...
                                                          I gave that one away rapidly. A friend of mine likes it. :rofl:

Kal
                                                          Kal Rubinson
                                                          "Music in the Round"

Comment

• jlr_1304
                                                            • Aug 2005

On another note (no pun) do you people like single layer better the multi-layer ? I do find the first sony (2000-2001) SL to sound more solid, more weight in the instruments.

Comment

• jim777
                                                              • Mar 2005

I gave that one away rapidly. A friend of mine likes it
                                                              Is he still a friend :rofl:

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2006

On another note (no pun) do you people like single layer better the multi-layer ? I do find the first sony (2000-2001) SL to sound more solid, more weight in the instruments.
                                                                Can you tell me how you have done this comparison? What releases with the same mastering can be heard on both single-layer and multi-layer discs?

Kal
                                                                Kal Rubinson
                                                                "Music in the Round"

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Mar 2006

Is he still a friend :rofl:
                                                                  Apparently. The price was right. :P

Kal
                                                                  Kal Rubinson
                                                                  "Music in the Round"

Comment

• jlr_1304
                                                                    • Aug 2005

There is no comparaison. I'm just wondering if you noticed that SL are sounding different than ML. Difficult to explain.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2006

All I can say is that I have never taken note of whether the disc is one or the other as it has never been an issue for me. What called it to your attention?

Kal
                                                                      Kal Rubinson
                                                                      "Music in the Round"

Comment

• jlr_1304
                                                                        • Aug 2005

Bass and instruments have more weight.

Comment

• Indytown
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Apr 2005

All I can say is that I have never taken note of whether the disc is one or the other as it has never been an issue for me. What called it to your attention?

Kal
                                                                          Kal,

What is your prefered player for multi-channel disks and why?

Indy

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2006
                                                                            • 2109

Bass and instruments have more weight.
                                                                            I heard you. I just find it hard to understand how you made the distinction with discs of different program material.

Kal
                                                                            Kal Rubinson
                                                                            "Music in the Round"

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2006
                                                                              • 2109

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Indytown
                                                                              Kal,
                                                                              What is your prefered player for multi-channel disks and why?
                                                                              Indy
                                                                              Depends. The BelCanto PL-1A 9 (and Sony XA9000ES) in the NY system and the Sim Orbiter in CT. Different rooms, amps and speakers.

Kal
                                                                              Kal Rubinson
                                                                              "Music in the Round"

Comment

• jim777
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2005
                                                                                • 831

#40
                                                                                Depends. The BelCanto PL-1A 9 (and Sony XA9000ES) in the NY system and the Sim Orbiter in CT. Different rooms, amps and speakers.

Kal
                                                                                Well for stereo SACD I hope you will get to try mac's new MCD201

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2006
                                                                                  • 2109

#41
                                                                                  Well for stereo SACD I hope you will get to try mac's new MCD201
                                                                                  Why would I want stereo when I do multichannel? :T

Kal
                                                                                  Kal Rubinson
                                                                                  "Music in the Round"

Comment

• jim777
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2005
                                                                                    • 831

#42
                                                                                    Why would I want stereo when I do multichannel? :T

Kal
                                                                                    Haha, you must be evil :twisted:

Why - just to know how stereo can sound good :B

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2006
                                                                                      • 2109

#43
                                                                                      Haha, you must be evil :twisted:

Why - just to know how stereo can sound good :B
                                                                                      I do but, imho, while there's nothing that stereo can do that MCH cannot do better, the reverse is not supportable. Still, I do listen to stereo A LOT simply because so much music is not (yet) available in MCH.

The way it works for me is that I have one system in my house that was set up from the beginning for MCH and the only discs I have in that house are MCH. The other system in the apartment was originally a stereo system but has only recently been expanded to MCH. So, in the former, I listen only to MCH and in the latter, I listen mostly to stereo...........but that is changing. :W

Kal
                                                                                      Kal Rubinson
                                                                                      "Music in the Round"

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2003
                                                                                        • 2299

#44
                                                                                        when do we get to see pics of your B&W system Kal?
                                                                                        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2006
                                                                                          • 2109

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                                                          when do we get to see pics of your B&W system Kal?
                                                                                          If I ever get around to it, they will be posted in the gallery at the Stereophile forums. I do have some allegiance to it. 8)

Kal
                                                                                          Kal Rubinson
                                                                                          "Music in the Round"

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"