X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtlrx
    • May 2006

Will 805S improve if run by 300w amp?

I currently run my 805S with Bryston 125w. Wondering if I upgraded the amp to 300w if I it would improve performance of the 805S vs. 125w.
  • musman
    • Jul 2006

Are you going to a another Bryston amp or another amp manufacture?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Mtrix,

It all depends on the quality of the amp. For example there are some 300W amps that IMO would sound worse than the Bryston you have...

However if you are thinking another Bryton or similar high quality amp - then absolutely Though the 805S is not that power hungry - so the returns will be smaller than on one of the larger 800 series.

Geoff

Comment

• mtlrx
        • May 2006

I am condsidering on getting the Bryston 6b SST (three channel 300w)as my center is HTM2D and want to get the best out of the center but wondered if the 805S would improve or if it would damage them.

Comment

• WI Rotel
          • Jul 2006

Not necessarily you would just be able to drive the speaker to louder levels without overdriving the amp and causing distortion. Of course, you must also consider the physical limitations of the speakers themselves. Every speakers impedance is different. BW's in general are not known by their efficiency thus driving them to louder levels may take a lot more power than other brands. A good rule of thumb is to buy as much power as you can afford, a very powerful amplifier will not be driven to distortion at loud listening levels regardless of speaker impedance.

Comment

• kurtholz
            • Feb 2005

I use a Krell which is 200 watts, i use mine as surrounds though so not as much info as mains, i did try them with my main amp which is a 250 watt Krell, they sounded great.it was amazing how nice they sounded,i am very happy with them as surrounds, but could easily use them as mains in a smaller room

good luck

Kurt

Comment

• Ade
              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by mtlrx
              I currently run my 805S with Bryston 125w. Wondering if I upgraded the amp to 300w if I it would improve performance of the 805S vs. 125w.
              You'll have an extra 3dB of headroom... and that will cost you a considerable amount I think. My guess you'd be better off putting the money towards a pair of higher end 800 series as that will really make a big difference to the sound.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"