X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erich
    • Jul 2006

rmb-1075 or 1066?

hi everyone ive been lurking for some time ang this is my 1st time to post.
    i am thinking of adding a power amp to my 5.1 system. i am currently using:

avr - onkyo tx-sr702 100x7
    lf/rf- 604s2
    c- lcr6s2
    ls/rs- 601s3
    sw- m&k mx-105mk2

my room is about 45sqm.

now my question is would i be better off with the 1075( 125x5) or the 1066 (150x3 in bridged mode)? i use my system mostly for movies. my dealer here only has rotel on order so i cant do an a/b comparison. i was thinking of the 1066 because i am on a tight budget and i dont think surrounds need that much power. btw i am planning on using the 702 as my prepro. what do u guys think? thanks in advance
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Hmmmm

erich,

I have about the same size room. I currently have the 1066. It is used for powering my surrounds and a second zone. I think in bridge mode, the 1066 will work out well for your current situation. I think you definitely need to bridge for the 604's. However, I've found that one amp to power all 5 speakers will bring a level of speaker synergy not generally possible with an amp and receiver combo. Many modern movies are making extensive use of the surround channels. You might be surprised at how much detail is in the rears once you put a dedicated amp like the 1075 on them. Also, I believe the 1075 would be able to power bigger speakers (like 700's or even entry level 800's) down the road should you take that path.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• cmac
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by erich
      hi everyone ive been lurking for some time ang this is my 1st time to post.
      i am thinking of adding a power amp to my 5.1 system. i am currently using:

avr - onkyo tx-sr702 100x7
      lf/rf- 604s2
      c- lcr6s2
      ls/rs- 601s3
      sw- m&k mx-105mk2

my room is about 45sqm.

now my question is would i be better off with the 1075( 125x5) or the 1066 (150x3 in bridged mode)? i use my system mostly for movies. my dealer here only has rotel on order so i cant do an a/b comparison. i was thinking of the 1066 because i am on a tight budget and i dont think surrounds need that much power. btw i am planning on using the 702 as my prepro. what do u guys think? thanks in advance
      Don't sell yourself short. Go with the 1075. you'll thank yourself later.

cmac

Comment

• CombatWombat
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by cmac
        Don't sell yourself short. Go with the 1075. you'll thank yourself later.

cmac
        Agreed I always wish I had the 1075 insted I bought 2 1066 (hey two amps always looks better than one) But I think if I went the 1075 I could still be using it in my 700's HT im building

Comment

• erich
          • Jul 2006

Thanks for replying guys

Have you guys tried a side by side comparison between the 1075 and 1066 for your fronts?

Comment

• erich
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by CombatWombat
            Agreed I always wish I had the 1075 insted I bought 2 1066 (hey two amps always looks better than one) But I think if I went the 1075 I could still be using it in my 700's HT im building
            In what way do you think that the 1075 is better than 2 1066's? Does the 1075 still sound more powerful than the bridged 1066?

Comment

• erich
              • Jul 2006

On a different note, has anyone tried using Acurus amps on their b&w's? my dealer is offering a great deal on the a200x3. It's even cheaper than the 1066, brand new

What do you guys think?

Comment

• CombatWombat
                • Jul 2006

Yes I found the 1075 has a bit more control of the bass (of course I only found that out after I bought the 1066's) Even with the 30 wpc less power the 1075 sounded and felt more powerful

Comment

• bleeding ears
                  • Nov 2004

Enrich, if you are on a budget, check out ebay, you will save heaps and if you want to resell at some stage you wont lose much if anything on the resale.

I would however go with the 1075 amp, I have heard it and it is awesome.

Remember when bridging an amp you must use 8 ohm speakers not 4 ohm and also the distortion rises when operating in bridged mode.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• erich
                    • Jul 2006

Thanks for your input guys

i'm gonna try and find a dealer with rotel in stock to hear for myself

Comment

• mike c
                      • Dec 2005

anybody tried using 150wpc x 2 on the lows and 60wpc x 2 on the highs of a pair of speakers using the 1066?

Comment

• htsteve
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Similar

Originally posted by mike c
                        anybody tried using 150wpc x 2 on the lows and 60wpc x 2 on the highs of a pair of speakers using the 1066?
                        I am using my 1066 to bi-amp some 705's. These are my rear speakers. I have been very pleased with the results. The mid's and highs are quite detailed and open (even my wife has commented on how nice they sounded :E ). The bass response is good also. These are set to small in my pre-amp, so I don't let it go all the way down. The performance is better than I expected.

If the 705's were my main speakers, I might try this idea in order to maximze bass (especially if I had no sub). However, most bookshelf's can't generate the excellent, deep bass that a tower or sub can.

The 150w on the lows and 60w on the highs would probably work best on a tower speaker.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                          • Jul 2006

I preffer the one box solution (the 1075) Its a wonderful solution for 5.1 surround. The 6 series is plenty efficient so it should drive them without difficulty to any sound level you desire.

Comment

• rickyo
                            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by CombatWombat
                            Yes I found the 1075 has a bit more control of the bass (of course I only found that out after I bought the 1066's) Even with the 30 wpc less power the 1075 sounded and felt more powerful

Thats why i suggested it to you in your other topic(amp.conf. under club rotel) peace.

Comment

• CombatWombat
                              • Jul 2006

I have Had the 1066's for about a year and a half now and has nothing to do with that thread

Comment

• rickyo
                                • Jul 2006

sorry mate, must have misread/misunderstood your posts ops:

Comment

• CombatWombat
                                  • Jul 2006

No problems, These things happen, Sorry if it came across a bit rude

Comment

• erich
                                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by mike c
                                    that's a great idea!

hey mike i've seen your setup on pinoydvd and it looks great! i'm from the Philippines too an i got the idea of using the 1066 for my front soundstage from your posts Pls let me know how the biamped 1066 compares w/ your 1077 on your speakers if you ever try it.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"