X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chin kwan
    • Jul 2006

N803 upgrade to N802, Is it worthwhile?

I am currently using Proceed PAV+PDSD feeding Proceed Amplification for the center channel, using Mark Levinson 23.5 driving front channels, cheap amplifier driving the rear surrounds.

My current set-up are as follows: N803, HTM1 and SCM1. I had a Mirage BPS-400 sub that I sold recently..

My original plan was to sell the Mirage and upgrade to a ASW4000 or ASW855.. but I am having 2nd thoughts as I listening to 2 channel 95% of the time with no sub..

I feel the funds might be better allocated to upgrade the N803 to N802.. I understand the 802D is quite a bit better but my budget at the moment does not allow that upgrade AND I would like to keep the same tweeter across the room..

Is the N802 significantly better then then N803.. I did have a chance to audtion the N802 using full classe electronics, I feel the resolution is quite a bit higher then the N803 but it's not very tolerant of less then pristine recordings and that the N802 needs to be turned up to sound good.. N803 needs to be turned up as well but to a lesser degree.

My room is 13X22X9 dedicated room. Will the 13 feet be too narrow for N802, considering the HTM1 is quite big as well??

Any suggestions and advice welcome..
  • Phil Rose
    • Aug 2000

You're correct that the N802s might be a tad big for your room. The Marlan heads on the N802s may also have a positive effect on the midrange over your current N803s. I listened, only briefly, to my N804s in the front, they are normally my rears, and thought that the mid/HF performance was pretty darned close to my N802s that perform LF/RF duties.

You might consider one of the Velodyne DD subs and let it handle the LF for your 2-channel listening. I have an older HGS-18 that I've equalized with a Behringer Feedback Destroyer which is active for MC-SACD playback and it is just amazing what it does for the lower end. With the servo drive the distortion is very low and it is very complimentary to the B&Ws bass performance. I really wish that I could figure out an easy way to use the sub for my 2-channel listening it's that good.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by chin kwan
      My room is 13X22X9 dedicated room. Will the 13 feet be too narrow for N802, considering the HTM1 is quite big as well??
      Might be a tight fit. I am using three N802Ds across the front in a 15' wide room and there's barely enough space. You don't want to get them too close to the side walls or the same distance from the front and side walls.

Kal
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• tboooe
        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
        Might be a tight fit. I am using three N802Ds across the front in a 15' wide room and there's barely enough space. You don't want to get them too close to the side walls or the same distance from the front and side walls.

Kal
        Kal, can you explain why you dont want them the same distance from the front and side walls?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

At any distance from a boundary, there will be additive and subtractive interaction between the direct radiation from the speaker and that reflected from the wall and the frequencies for those effects are based on the distance and the wavelength of the signal. If you place a speaker the same distance from front and side walls, those additions/subtractions will be at the same frequencies, greatly increasing the effect. SBIR = speaker boundary interference response.

Kal
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• chin kwan
            • Jul 2006

Two additional questions:

Have anybody tried using Mark Levinson NO.23.5 to drive N802?? Is it sufficient to make it sing? IMHO, the N803 was quite picky in terms of amplification and I was able to get satisfactory results with ML amplification.

Is the bass response on the N802 sufficient for me to give me getting a subwoofer??

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI chin,
              Am I right to assume you have a 23.5? If you do then you know it is a great amp. I have a plain old No. 23. It used to be the main amp in my main stereo system. It's now assigned to the subs. I just cannot imagine that amp running out of power on any speaker. But I have only used it to drive my 4 ohm subs (2 of them) and before then my Martin Logan CLS II electrostatics. In both cases the amp was unflappable. As you probably know the CLS II's are extremely difficult to drive. Not for the No. 23 though.

Ultimately, the No. 23 could not compete with my Audio Research D250 MkII Servo tube amp from a resolution point of view. But, I could be completely happy with the No. 23 as my only amp.

Sparky

Comment

• Cambs12
                • Jul 2006

N803/2

Hi,
                I am thinking about upgrading my CDm9NTs,and listened to the 803D,thought they were fabulous,and just about within budget,but then made the mistake of listening to the 802ds!!What a sound,i would say they are more effortless in depth and soundstage,well worth it,though,obviously,my wife doesn't like the styling of the 802s,could live with the 803s!!
                One observation i had was the power required to drive the 802d.I listened to them at a local dealer with Naim pre/power,not sure which model nos tho.the Naims couldn't drive them properly,constantly clipping,so i guess raw power would be an advantage.

Comment

• chin kwan
                  • Jul 2006

Yes, I do own a Mark Levinson No. 23.5 to drive my current N803.. I know the new 800 Series have the new woofers that are much easier to drive.. The speed is quite a bit faster then the original Nautilus series as well.. The 23.5 is sufficient for the N803 at the moment.. I am not a head-banger and I listen mostly to vocals at or around regular conversation levels.. I am afraid the N802 will need more.. Does anybody have any practical experience on that match up?? N802+23.5???

On a related question, I borrowed my friend's 23.5 (identical to mine) to bi-amp the HTM1.. the vocals started to float in mid-air and has life.. My Proceed Amp2 (150X2) did not make the HTM1 sing.. the image seems to stuck in the HTM1 cabinet.. I also borrowed a Proceed Amp5 to bi-amp the N803 at one point, it did not make the N803 sing either.. IMHO, very high quality amps are needed to make the Nautilus sing;thus, my concern on the N802 pwr reqiurements...

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

I upgraded from N804 to N802 and there was a much fuller, dynamic sound. With that being said, I feel that when I upgrade my amps, I will continue to get more out of them. I am currently using the NuForce Ref9's, and am considering the SE's.
                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"