X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kylek100
    • Jun 2005

Warming the sound of 805S

I've been a B&W owner for a while, slowly upgrading everything piece by piece. Right now, I've got two 805S's, and HTM7, two 601s3 rears, a velodyne dd-12 and being driven by a denon 3805 and denon 2910 universal player. I am actually quite satisfied with the theater application of it, but I am hungry for more in the realm of two channel. I have decided that the weakest link in the two channel system is most likely the power amps of the 3805. The question becomes, what amp do I add on?

I have been considering:

Musical Fidelity A5
    Mcintosh 3600
    Rotel 1080
    Rotel 1092
    and the Classe CA-2100

I was not terribly impressed with the musical fidelity in the short demo I did. It didn't sound terribly different than my denon. Just for fun, we went in to listen to the 802D's hooked up to a mcintosh 6500 integrated I believe, and it was the most gorgeous sound I had ever heard. For so long, I had always thought that I really loved B&W for their "brighter" sound because I figured that meant more detailed. After hearing this setup, I realized how detailed they can be while maintaining a rich, warm, and smooth sound.

I know Krell is certainly not the way to go if I want to warm the sound up a little bit. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can best emulate what I heard? I'm looking for a price point of about 2500 if possible. If it's not going to be integrated, I plan on using the 3805 as a preamp for now, until I get the itch again.

I have two dealers telling me completely conflicting things about all of the options I have here, and I know at the end of the day it comes down to my ear, but I am hoping that someone can atleast point my ears in the right direction.
    Denon 3805
    B&W 805S
    B&W 601 S3
    B&W HTM7
    Velodyne Digital Drive 12
    AudioQuest Clear 2 Hyperlitz
    AudioQuest Emerald Hyperlitz interconnects
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

Musical Fidelity and Mac are at two extremes of the spectrum IMO. If you loved B&W+mac (like I do, MA6500+703's), I'm not surprised that you didn't like MF.

Why wouldn't you go with this; a MVP861 (decodes your audio internally), C46 (audio pre with two 6ch inputs, no audio decoding) and a MC207 (should sound pretty much like the MA6500 but with 7 channels).

Comment

• stewfoo
      • Jul 2005

If Classe is in the realm of possibility. I think the CAP-2100 would be a great 2-in-1 solution. What a phenomenal integrated amp!
      Stew

Comment

• alebonau
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by kylek100
        I've been a B&W owner for a while, slowly upgrading everything piece by piece. Right now, I've got two 805S's, and HTM7, two 601s3 rears, a velodyne dd-12 and being driven by a denon 3805 and denon 2910 universal player. I am actually quite satisfied with the theater application of it, but I am hungry for more in the realm of two channel. I have decided that the weakest link in the two channel system is most likely the power amps of the 3805. The question becomes, what amp do I add on?

I have been considering:

Musical Fidelity A5
        Mcintosh 3600
        Rotel 1080
        Rotel 1092
        and the Classe CA-2100

I was not terribly impressed with the musical fidelity in the short demo I did. It didn't sound terribly different than my ~.
        I find the comment that MF A5 integrated not terribly differnt from the denon very hard to understand kelke. what source were you runnign in this demo kelke. I have heard the mf A5 integrated myself and the denon 3805 for 2ch and think A5 is superb. but hey mayb its a pers pref thing and might depend on what your looking for.
        "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• WI Rotel
          • Jul 2006

I'm utterly satisfied with my RMB 1095, personally I think it's the perfect one box solution for audio and video at a price that simply makes it a steal. Furthermore, it has enough grunt to drive any speaker.

Comment

• kurtholz
            • Feb 2005

I use a Krell HTS for my 802d's, i think it puts out a very warm sound, tried a Rotel 1095, it was not up to the task at all, very grainy,and not near the power of the Krell,the Krell will give you a massively better soundstage along with a very dark or quiet background, my opinion

good luck'

Kurt

Comment

• WI Rotel
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by kurtholz
              I use a Krell HTS for my 802d's, i think it puts out a very warm sound, tried a Rotel 1095, it was not up to the task at all, very grainy,and not near the power of the Krell,the Krell will give you a massively better soundstage along with a very dark or quiet background, my opinion

good luck'

Kurt
              You missed the price point 2500. That will not buy you any krell with half the power of a 1095. Actually it will not buy him any krell!

Comment

• alebonau
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                You missed the price point 2500. That will not buy you any krell with half the power of a 1095. Actually it will not buy him any krell!
                you might be able to squeeze in the krell kav 400 integrated for that sort of money if krell is what you want. soudn wise would be lot more detailed cleaner sounding as kurtholz posted.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by alebonau
                  you might be able to squeeze in the krell kav 400 integrated for that sort of money if krell is what you want. soudn wise would be lot more detailed cleaner sounding as kurtholz posted.
                  Oh Please, comparing and intergrated krell with a 1095 is like comparing the queen mary to a tugboat. Don't be ridiculous. Brand loyalty is one thing brand sillyness is another. :roll:

Comment

• Briz vegas
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Our local 800 dealer pushes Electrocompaniet integrateds as the ideal match for the lower 800s. I thought the recommended 805s/Electrocompaniet/Meridian CD combination sounded excellent - no brightness or metalic sound - just a nice natural sound - most reviewers describe Electrocompaniet as sweet sounding. Something different to consider if they are available local to you.
                    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• miner
                      • Mar 2005

I can't say enough about my RB-1092 that I have had for 3 months now. I saw an add on Audiogon that a guy in Austin, TX was selling 4 news ones for $1995 each. Heck of a price.

Comment

• JimTW
                        • Apr 2005

Price point of below $2.5k, you best bet will be a Rotel.
                        If one day price is not the limiting factor and you want to
                        step up, then Classe will give you the warmest of sound
                        among the choices of Mac, Krell, and Classe.

Comment

• kylek100
                          • Jun 2005

I can get the Classe 2100 power amp and use my denon as a preamp for roughly 2500. There is also the Krell 400xi that is 2500. Do you still think rotel is the way to go?

Miner, so you like your 1092? I have been hearing mixed things about that, I will have to give one a listen...
                          Denon 3805
                          B&W 805S
                          B&W 601 S3
                          B&W HTM7
                          Velodyne Digital Drive 12
                          AudioQuest Clear 2 Hyperlitz
                          AudioQuest Emerald Hyperlitz interconnects

Comment

• alebonau
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                            Oh Please, comparing and intergrated krell with a 1095 is like comparing the queen mary to a tugboat. Don't be ridiculous. Brand loyalty is one thing brand sillyness is another. :roll:
                            I think the tug boat is a good comparison for the rotel 1095. the rotel will drive the 805s. Its Well built has plenty of power, but power isnt everything. theres more finesse, detail clarity available in other amps in hte price range.

brand loyalty ? I dont own a krell. Sillyness ? no not being silly.

Comment

• alebonau
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Oct 2005

I can get the Classe 2100 power amp and use my denon as a preamp for roughly 2500. There is also the Krell 400xi that is 2500. Do you still think rotel is the way to go?

Miner, so you like your 1092? I have been hearing mixed things about that, I will have to give one a listen...
                              the biggest improvment you'll get is infact not using your denon 3805 as a pre. getting a power amp and using it with this avr is only have the improvment. If you cant afford a 2ch pre as awell then a quality 2ch integrated in the likes of a krell 400 or mf A5 are good options well worth considering to give you both a 2ch pre and power upgrade in one hit.

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                              Our local 800 dealer pushes Electrocompaniet integrateds as the ideal match for the lower 800s. I thought the recommended 805s/Electrocompaniet/Meridian CD combination sounded excellent - no brightness or metalic sound - just a nice natural sound - most reviewers describe Electrocompaniet as sweet sounding. Something different to consider if they are available local to you.
                              that is a very good suggestion as well and a combination I actually heard albiet few years ago now and liked the sound very much too. The electrocompaniet integrated amps are top notch and very capable as with the meridian disc players. And good point on mentioning CD players as think a good source would be vital to get the best out this combination as well.
                              Last edited by alebonau; 03 August 2006, 18:27 Thursday.

Comment

• akhter
                                • Jun 2005

I have been considering:

Musical Fidelity A5
                                Mcintosh 3600
                                Rotel 1080
                                Rotel 1092
                                and the Classe CA-2100

I was not terribly impressed with the musical fidelity in the short demo I did. It didn't sound terribly different than my denon. Just for fun, we went in to listen to the 802D's hooked up to a mcintosh 6500 integrated I believe, and it was the most gorgeous sound I had ever heard. For so long, I had always thought that I really loved B&W for their "brighter" sound because I figured that meant more detailed. After hearing this setup, I realized how detailed they can be while maintaining a rich, warm, and smooth sound.

I know Krell is certainly not the way to go if I want to warm the sound up a little bit. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can best emulate what I heard? I'm looking for a price point of about 2500 if possible. If it's not going to be integrated, I plan on using the 3805 as a preamp for now, until I get the itch again.

I have two dealers telling me completely conflicting things about all of the options I have here, and I know at the end of the day it comes down to my ear, but I am hoping that someone can atleast point my ears in the right direction.
                                If its an option, I'd demo a pair of Nuforce reference 9 monoblocks. I believe they are about 2500 for a pair.

Comment

• kurtholz
                                  • Feb 2005

WiRotel

I wish i could be happy with such mediocricy as you are,

you most obviously have never heard anything else but your beloved Rotel, if i was you, i would keep it that way, because you will feel like the village idiot if you ever do

i doubt the Rotel would be any improvement over the Denon at all, i have had both, i felt the Denon was much better sounding

go with a used Krell KAV 3250, you can pick one of those up around $2000-$2500, it is a 3 channel, and would BLOW the Rotel out of the water, or do the Krell 400xi series

i only say this based on having had all three and knowing for sure what they sound like, not from reading reviews from other people.

good luck

Kurt

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"