X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwong97
    • Aug 2006

high end B&W on a budget... :)

Hi all,

Have another thread in the forum discussing XT speakers (still undecided) - but was hoping to get everyone's view on whether i should get speakers in the 800 series instead? With my budget, i doubt i will get the floor standing 800s, but would 4 x 805s sound better than an XT4/XT2 combo in a HT setup?

Judging by the various reviews I've read, the XTs pretty much rule over the 700 series?

Just a thought... Thanks guys.
  • lvhung
    • Jun 2005

wHY YOU CHOOSE SMALL SPEAKERS FOR HT
    805 IS BETTER IN MUSIC RESOLUTION

Comment

• Lewing
      • Oct 2004

Disagree...
      The fact is, a pair of 805s match with a high quality subwoofer can sound exteremly good in music. For movies, it doesnt shows that much of difference between floor standers and bookshelfs + good subwoofer.

If you mainly use the speakers for movies, i say XT4/XT2 combo is pretty good enough, or you can even use 600 series speakers. However, if you love listen to music, 805s + subwoofer are the combo to get (of course if budget allows).

Hope that help
      Live to Eat, Live to enjoy Music :T

http://community.webshots.com/user/lewing79

Comment

• rwong97
        • Aug 2006

which woofer would go well with the 805s? suppose these would be a bit more than the PV1 since they are in the 800 series?

I would say 60-70% music and the rest movies - living room isn't that large...

Any other members care to comment on this very heated 805 vs XT4 debate? hehe

Comment

• DeepEndX
          • Feb 2005

I agree with Lewing. HT requires less precise speakers with the emphasis on explosiveness. However, music listen speakers require detail sound, good sound stage, character of the speaker (soft, warm, fast, or others)...etc.

I have a set of bose 5.1 and B&W. Bose sounds good in HT, but in music........no comment.

RH

Comment

• misterdoggy
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

If your budget can handle it 804S' are a better sounding speaker all around than the 805's

I've had both and there is just much more to an 804S. They sound great.

Comment

• Briz vegas
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

60-70% music to me says 805s. Personally I also prefer the look of the 805.

If you watch 100% action movies "with lots of explosions" you may get maginally better boom for your buck with XT, but if you like a broader range of flicks you will not miss the floorstanders (think about it, they are only two of 6 speakers). Also don't forget that with the 805 HTM4 you are getting all round identical sets of drivers, surely this is more HT nirvana as you have 360 degree seamless effects. If you are a real "effects head" then surely this is the ultimate aim as the individual speakers dissappear. Floorstanders as a must have for HT is over rated in my opinion.

I agree that 804s are better (I have a pair) and so on up the range, however 805s need no apologies. Besides which, once again you would need to get 4 804s to have the all round effect.

I had a PV1 on lone for the weekend once, it would match fine with 800s, although for bigger rooms you may need 2. Very clean tight sound if that is how you prefer your bass.
              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
              Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• WI Rotel
                • Jul 2006

I'm a little biased, but 805 vs XT4's really a no contest. Comparing a bookshelf with a floorstander is a no brainer, specifically when for the price you can also buy a sub for the XT! The 805 might make for a wonderful surround speaker in a complete 8 series system ie 800 mains! That, of course, would be a significant upgrade in sound from an XT system but, as we all know it would also cost more than the downpayment on a decent house!

Comment

• Briz vegas
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

I guess the "no brainer" is a matter of opinion, which makes it all the more important to compare the two for yourself.

I've had both (quick clarification - both bookshelfs and floorstanders, I have not owned these speakers, just heard them), and the difference in bass just did not hit my radar when I watched Lord of the Rings MkIII the other weekend. I think that had one or two effects in it and the odd explosion, although I could be mistaken :-)
                  Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• GregLett
                    • May 2005

I've heard both. And I'll pick the XT over the 805 any day, I did.
                    The XT's are really great in a mid size room also.
                    Greg

Comment

• Briz vegas
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Either way rwong can't go wrong (no pun intended), they are both B&Ws after all ;-)

Comment

• kurtholz
                        • Feb 2005

i can't imagine 805S's and a velodyne subwoofer wouldnt satisfy most anyone, i listened to my 805S as mains for a few day's, i could live with them,

i'll admit, since relegating them as surrounds,i have always thought i might get another set and do a small tube based 2 channel system using them,they sound great

good luck

Kurt

Comment

• WI Rotel
                          • Jul 2006

BTW, "budget" and "BW" are a contradiction in terms. A "budget" BW surround system ( the XT) will still set you back roughly 6000 USD! That is more than the annual per capita income of over 90% of the world's countries! OUCH:blink:

Comment

• Kclman
                            • Aug 2006

I think most of you are missing the point, no offence. All this budget talk over speakers is irrelavent if you forget to properly budget for electronics.

See the other XT post on my opinions about electronics(Naim).

If you are more intrested in two channel stereo music plump for the 800 series, forget getting 4 of them though save your money on the rear channels get some tripoles for effects.

With the money saved you should be able to get some 803s .

However bear in mind if you don't drive the speakers properly you mean as well not bother.

I find that you need to spend your budget equally amongst all the components. Don't forget you still need a source and cables!

Comment

• BassThatHz
                              • Jul 2006

Ideally in a music setup you do not want to compromise your 2ch in anyway, for movies the center channel should be compromised the least, with the front three being most balanced, followed by the support of a good subwoofer.

In summary what I am saying is, for those on a budget, a strong 3.1 system will sound superior to a weaker 5 channel system imho.

Since you listen to 70% music, in a near perfect world you would want 2x 804S 1x HTM3S and a Velodyne HGS-12X (or equivalent). If that is out of budget you could either save up more, go used or aim a little lower.

Other options could be as follows:
                              -805S, HTM4S, ASW825
                              -703, HTM3S, ASW750
                              -704, HTM7, ASW700
                              -XT4, XTC, PV1

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"