Which 600 Series to complete my collection?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clepto
    • Feb 2006

Which 600 Series to complete my collection?

So, through the powers of eBay, I've managed to sell 3 pairs of 10+ year old bose speakers, and now have the cash to buy a pair of B&W 600 series bookshelf speakers...

Currently, I am sporting, for 90% HT, 10% Music/Surround Music

CC: LCR600s3
    L/R: 602s3
    SR/SL: 600s3
    Yamaha RXV1400 Receiver

I have a couple of options... Buy 601's for my 'stereo' set up in a different room...

Buy DS6's, replace them with my current surrounds, and then move the 600s3's to the 'stereo' room

I don't think from a space perspective, that I can currently use 601's in my 5.1 system, as the small size of the 600 works better in my room. The 601's might be too tall.

Next upgrade will likely be the Rotel Class D 7 channel, or possibly 5 channel amp, followed in a year by a new Pre/Pro. 5 Channel might have more appeal, because that will force me to get a 2-channel amp for my fronts if I ever go 7.1 (; (which means i can get 604s3's then
    Buy 601s3, use in 'Stereo' room
    50.00%
    Buy DS63, swap with current 600s3 Surrounds
    33.33%
    Other: Keep in mind, can't really do more than $450
    16.67%
    Last edited by Clepto; 25 August 2006, 16:21 Friday.
  • Clepto
    • Feb 2006

Boo on whomever voted other, and didn't respond with what that other was /:

I was hoping to hear from anyone who may have tried out the DS6 dipoles for surrounds vs either 600's or 601's...

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I use to have the 600 as surrounds. I am buying DS6 now for surrounds. :T
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Clepto
        • Feb 2006

Well, after a little researching, I'm leaning more towards getting those DS6s3's as my surrounds. My biggest question for folks, is will it be bad to have them stand mounted, at ear level, instead of being slightly higher, mounted on the wall?

DS6s3 in monopole mode use effectively the same drivers as the 600s3, but don't go quite as low (85Hz) due to being sealed rather than ported... so I don't think I'll really be giving up too much for my multi-channel music, but I think I'll enhance my HT experience.

Anyone with thoughts on having the diploes on stands at ear level, input would be appreciated.

Comment

• Clepto
          • Feb 2006

Well, I ended up going with the DS6s3's for my surrounds in a 5.1 setup, and it was DEFINITELY worth the purchase, at least from a HT standpoint. I haven't flipped them to mono mode for SACD/DVD-A listening yet, but the surround field in dipole mode are just want my room needed.

Before, with my 600s3's as surrounds, you only got a vague sense of the surround field, and really, only from the sweet spot. Now, I feel like the surrounds truly 'surround' me.

For anyone debating dipoles for HT, being able to listen to them in your room is highly recommended!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"