X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glenee
    • Aug 2006

B&W 800 series and Bryston Amps

Looking at pairing the 802d's with a Bryston 6B-SST C Series amp but before spending the money I wanted to know who here is using Bryston with their speakers ? What other Amps you use or decided over the bryston and why.Really not as bad on the price end if you think about 3 channels @ 300 watts since I know these baby's take some power. I know there is higher and lower priced but the overall cost for what you get looks good. Rotel and Classe are also very good but the twenty year warranty and since so many of the Rotel 1095 have been going back for repairs.
    Thanks,
    Glenee
  • fauzigarib
    • Aug 2006

No Bryston lovers out there

Glenee,

I've been asking about Bryston on this forum for some time too, but I can't seem to get ANY response.

From what I've heard on other forums (I don't have experience with the combo, but am a HUGE fan of Bryston), some opinions state that they tend to be a little bright, but generally stated, they have plenty of power to drive the speakers and drive them well.

Personally, I would look at the 7bsst's... I think that's the model number of the mono blocks... I'm considering getting the 800 series also, and these are the amps that I'm looking to tie them up with if my existing McIntosh doesnt do them justice.

If I could only get a response from this forum about Bryston!!

Good luck,

Fauzi

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Bryston ROCKS! I have stated this many times before and will do so again (here) that they make some of the most transparent SS gear I have ever heard. However, they can be a bit edgy on top and a bit heavy on the bottom if some component choices are not carefully thought out.

I found the top end well balanced with the diamond tweeters but they can make the already somewhat forward midrange and somewhat bright aluminum tweeters sound too aggressive (for my tastes anyway). The bass output on the smaller 6.5" and 7.0" drivers doesn't get any better but the response from the twin 8.0" drivers on the 802D was excessive.

I ran my evaluation with a pair of 803S and 802D using two different Bryston systems. If I were going to build a system around Bryston amplifiers using B&W 800 series speakers I would consider an alternate (brand and or type) of pre-amplifer to balance with. Something that errors on the warm side of neutral.
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• ED K
        • Apr 2005

I agree with Rebelman. I have B&W 802Ds and are driving them with Bryston 7B SST mono blocks. The Bryston amps can (and do) make the 802Ds sing! The power reserve is incredible. They can be a bit "bright" on the top end if you do not have the correct front end components. The bass is wonderfully strong, quick and with a slam like few other amps I have auditioned. I am currently running the Mcintosh MX135 pre/pro with the brystons. My source components are the Mcintosh MS300, Mcintosh 861 CD/DVD player and the Arcam FMJ 27A CD/DVD/DVD-A player. I have used the tone control on the MX135 to soften the upper freq with great results. There are "some" that would not even look at the Brystons because they don't carry the pedigree of some other well known brands. But $ for $ they are a great choice for the B&W 802s.
        Those who know it all know less than those who don't

Comment

• PavelL
          • Sep 2005

My N802 paired with 4 BSST is a wonderful combo. NEVER regreted my Bryston purchase. Not bright AT ALL - though may /just like any other amp/ sound bright in a bright ROOM. And like Mr. Tanner of Bryston once put it - "the only bright thing about Bryston amps is the people who buy them" :W Great value.

Comment

• ED K
            • Apr 2005

PavelL What front end components do you have with your Bryston amps?
            Those who know it all know less than those who don't

Comment

• PavelL
              • Sep 2005

PMed you with details. Nothing fancy but it works :T

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

I too have a pair of 7Bs on my 802s
                I love em.
                B&W

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                  • Jun 2006

Fauzi,

I am using Bryston 7B ST's and they are awesome with these speakers. I have had NO PROBLEMS with them being too bright, but, I used a Juicymusic Peach tube preamp and then a Musical Fidelity A308CR solid state. The Musical Fidelity works great with these amps. Plenty of power to kick the Brystons into gear and a "tubelike" sound.

I bought teh Musical Fidelity after seeing Upscale Audio's site where Kevin Deal (the owner and huge tube head) said that if your not a tube guy, this is the premap to get. He also said "it will kick the snot out of preamps costing several times the price." I honestly cannot tell a difference between it and a tube pre (I have had three tube amps). I have heard that Bryston pre's can be too bright.

If you do go for a Musical Fidelity pre, go for the A308CR - made in the UK and realy heavy duty. If you cannot tell, I love this preamp.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"