X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjrivera
    • Jun 2005

Rotel amp for N802s

Posted this in the Rotel forum, but no luck there....

I'm debating getting a 1090 vs 1092 for my N802's. (I'm going with Rotel for the best "bang for the buck" for now)

I searched the old threads, but couldn't find much specifically about the N802's in an A/B test between the 2.

I plan on using them in a 5.1 system with N804's as rears, HTM1 as a center, and powered with a RMB1095.

I've read about the smoother sound of the 1090's, but was wondering if the total output of the 1092 would be better for speakers the size of the N802's.

I have listened to the 1092 with 803Ds at the dealer, but couldn't get an audition of the 1090 or the 192 with 802N's.

Anybody have suggestions?
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

A while back I posted some comments about the comparisons I made between the RB-1090 and the RB-1092 using the 802D but primarily the 803S in my evaluation. To me the sound quality of the 1090 (clearly) stood out over the 1092 which was quite unexpected.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• WI Rotel
      • Jul 2006

The 1092 is a 500W amp the 1090 is 378W. Both are excellent superbly powerful amplifiers, but they are hardly comparable due to the very large difference in power. Given its much higher rating the 1092 has additional dynamic headroom and should sound less constrained (more open) than the lesser powered 1090. Thus, its really no surprise that it would be ranked "better". BW's super megabuck HT speakers CT 800's are powered by a rack full of 1092 amps. Cost for the whole system including installation is 125,000 bucks! In "audiophile" level amplification more power always equals better sound.

Comment

• cjrivera
        • Jun 2005

Thanks Rebelman.

I had read your reviews with interest during the search. I had noticed that you were using 802Ds and 803Ss. I didn't know if anyone else had used 802Ns in such a test. I figured the results would likely be comparable, but wanted to hear if there was someone who actually tried it.

I'm worried that the 1090 might not have enough "umph" for the 802s (380W for the 1090 vs. the 500W for the 1092). I am more concerned about quality of the sound (pointing me to the 1090) but I do wanna make sure that the 380W would be enough (where the 500W in the 1092 might be a benefit).

Comment

• WI Rotel
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by cjrivera
          Thanks Rebelman.

I had read your reviews with interest during the search. I had noticed that you were using 802Ds and 803Ss. I didn't know if anyone else had used 802Ns in such a test. I figured the results would likely be comparable, but wanted to hear if there was someone who actually tried it.

I'm worried that the 1090 might not have enough "umph" for the 802s (380W for the 1090 vs. the 500W for the 1092). I am more concerned about quality of the sound (pointing me to the 1090) but I do wanna make sure that the 380W would be enough (where the 500W in the 1092 might be a benefit).
          The 1090 will have enough power to drive the 802's or any other speaker with ease. However, that doesn't change the fact that the 1092 will drive them with even more ease and will sound better (slightly) at higher levels. The deal here is how much you are willing to spend. The 1092 is proof that class D amplifiers have finally come of age and are now equivalent in fidelity to the more classic amplifier designs.

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

The 1090 will drive the N802 as satisfactorily as it did the 802D. Both generations of 802's have similar power requirements, sensitivities and impedance curves. Under extreme (and very unlikely) conditions the 1092 should out power the 1090 but it certainly won't out class it. On the contrary, I found several issues of the 1092 unacceptable for an amplifier of this caliber, unlike the veteran 1090. As such I have no reservations recommending the 1090. The 1092, however, is far from Rotel's best work (better yet, implementation of B&O's work).
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• cjrivera
              • Jun 2005

Thanks again Rebelman and WI Rotel for a couple of things to consider.

Rebelman, in what kind of "extreme conditions" were you thinking of?

WI Rotel, I like the idea of having more power, but if the quality of the music is not as good with the 1092, am I better off with the 1090?

Comment

• chinets
                • Jun 2005

I believe the 1092 is your best choice, as I have auditioned Both the 1090 and 1092 with the 802D ,and I find the 1092 gives you more head room and dynamics which the 1090 lacks a bit. These 802D demand Raw Power and lots of juice, and the 1092 will definetely give you that.

Comment

• miner
                  • Mar 2005

I moved up from my RB-1070 to the RB-1092 - won't look back. Plus it is only 22 lbs. - very shelf-friendly.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                    • Jul 2006

Thanks again Rebelman and WI Rotel for a couple of things to consider.

Rebelman, in what kind of "extreme conditions" were you thinking of?

WI Rotel, I like the idea of having more power, but if the quality of the music is not as good with the 1092, am I better off with the 1090?
                    If rotel's specs are true (they are usually very conservative in their specs) distortion should be similar well beyond the audio spectrum. If so then the difference will be only headroom. Note, the additional headroom will only be a factor at very high volume levels under normal listening circumstances <85 db, there should be no difference at all. The 802 is quite efficient in the low 90'db thus the 1090 should drive them more than satisfactorily. IMO, Its simply a matter of choice and price. The previous issues with class D amplifiers was they could suffer freom significant switching distortion when they drove wide bandwidths. Upgrades in digital switching speed seem to have solved this issue satisfactorily thus Class D has come into its own. I have not heard the 1092 but I don't have any reason to belive rotel would put out an "inferior" product. Yes it's a BO technology but who cares? The PV1 also uses a 500W ICE amp and, as I said above BW must be a firm believer on Rotel's ICE amplification to include it in their most expensive HT speaker system. IMO you cannot go wrong with either. If you're going to be listening at ear splitting levels routinely go for the 1092, if you are not, the 1090 should work at least as good.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"