X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amdan
    • Sep 2006

B&W 802N owners - please help

I recently bought a pair of used 802Ns. They came with an extra pair of 'bullets' which I presume fit into the FST mid-range drivers. However, I don't know which pair to use. They are both black plastic. One has holes in the centre and the other doesn't. Can anyone help with this?
  • PavelL
    • Sep 2005

the one with holes to be used with grills. The one without holes just looks better - to be used with grills off

Comment

• amdan
      • Sep 2006

Does the one without the hole sound better?

As above.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by amdan
        I recently bought a pair of used 802Ns. They came with an extra pair of 'bullets' which I presume fit into the FST mid-range drivers. However, I don't know which pair to use. They are both black plastic. One has holes in the centre and the other doesn't. Can anyone help with this?
        Both black plastic? One set should be solid metal as the plastic ones are used only with the covers that fit into the holes.

Kal
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• theMaximus
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by amdan
          Does the one without the hole sound better?
          One is not supposed to sound better over the other. I for one don't notice any difference between the two different cones on my 802D. I use the solid aluminum one only because I like to leave the grilles off of the FST midrange and have no need for a hole in the middle of the cone.
          Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• Jeff
            • Dec 2004

I only use the ones with the holes. Although the sound isn't as good as with them off, they will look cool with the grills on.

Jeff

Comment

• jlr_1304
              • Aug 2005

I found the solid aluminium to sound better. Maybe the plastic one were defective, but i had strange vibrations on some frequencies. Anyway, they are only 45$ each if you want to order them. They look better also.

Comment

• caleb
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                Both black plastic? One set should be solid metal as the plastic ones are used only with the covers that fit into the holes.

Kal
                The original 802Ns were never supplied with aluminium phase plugs as an alternative to use with the grilles off.

They were available from certain people (me being one) as an aftermarket fit.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by caleb
                  The original 802Ns were never supplied with aluminium phase plugs as an alternative to use with the grilles off.

They were available from certain people (me being one) as an aftermarket fit.
                  Really? The 800N Sigs and the 802Ds both came with the aluminum plugs as well as the plastic ones. Of course, mine were delivered by B&W personnel but I assumed this was normal since they both are described in the manuals.

Kal
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• PavelL
                    • Sep 2005

Really? The 800N Sigs and the 802Ds both came with the aluminum plugs as well as the plastic ones. Of course, mine were delivered by B&W personnel but I assumed this was normal since they both are described in the manuals.

Kal
                    True. My N802s came with 2 pairs of plasstic :cry: ones.

Comment

• caleb
                      • Aug 2004

Kal
                      You are right on this one Kal.

The signature range did come with aluminium phase plugs, (as do the new Diamond series).

It is this fact that got everyone in a froth!

Everyone was curious as to exactly what happened to the sound when the aluminium phase plugs were used.

This is why I started to have my engineer make them for me as the realy Mc Coy from B&W cost a fortune - and they didn't alwasy want to sell them.

By the way - Just to my ears there was a difference in sound when you used the aluminium plugs.

Comment

• amdan
                        • Sep 2006

Thanks for all the replies. I presume they do improve the sound given that B&W now supply them with the D series.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"