X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chowhwk
    • Jun 2006

Anyone with experience upgrading from 802 to 800D

I am considering whether I should upgrade from my N802 to 800D.
    The areas I am looking for improvements are
    1. crisper and more analytical bass but at the same time deeper.
    2. smoother high - the aluminium tweeter of N802 sometimes sound a little harsh for some CD especially solo violins.

Music I enjoy are classical orchestral, violin sonata, female vocal (soprano).

My configurations are
    CD Drive - Accustic Arts CD Drive (DC - Audioquest Raven, PC - AA Ferrite !!)
    DAC - Accustic Arts DAC 4 (PC - Virtual Dynamics David, IC - Stage III Concept Monument)
    Pre-Amp - Accustic Arts Pre Amp ( PC- Gutwire Power Clef-orange, IC- Heaven Gates Siliver Spirit Ref)
    Power - Accustic Arts Amp II (PC - Heaven Gates Silver Spirit)
    Speaker - B&W N 802 (single-wire - Yter)
    Power :
    1。Direct plug for the power amplifier
    2。CD Drive, DAC, Pre-Amp connect to 2 X Isoclean Isolation Transformer

any other advices on achieving the above will be appreciated.
  • fauzigarib
    • Aug 2006

Oops!

Moderators,

There's a certain forum member, suspicously canine in his nomenclature, who might take offense at this particular thread.

After all, he's been after these very speakers himself...

Kindly ensure that this thread is removed from the threads that he can access.

He'll thank you, I'm sure!

Fauzi

Comment

• misterdoggy
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Fauzi,

Actually I have gone out and bought a X-5 BMW and have put the 800D's on hold.

I will have to wait some time before the wife calms down, before even mentioning any Hifi parts.

Chowhwk,

Your idea is what everyone wants to do. The "D" series or diamond tweeters are considered a great improvement over the Nautilus series.

I have read many reviews that say even the 802D is a superior speaker all around to the N800. So N802 to 800D would be even by a wider margin. I'm not familiar with your Amp, but I have heard the 800D's like power.

I have the 802D's and since a recent upgrade in my CD, I am so pleased that I might just stay with the 802D's for a while.

After all, you will see the 802D's in many of the playback rooms at Abbey road.

If its good enough for Abbey Road then.....

Also many people have said that the 800D's like a little bit of space, but I have also heard on this forum that they perform well in tight spaces as well.

How big is your listening room ?

Comment

• chowhwk
        • Jun 2006

My listening room measures 5M x 6.6 M, around 360 sq feet. It has been accoustic treated for audio.
        my amplifier is OK for 802, I am also considering adding another one for bi-amp. That will mean 2 X 250W for both sides.

Comment

• chowhwk
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by chowhwk
          My listening room measures 5M x 6.6 M, around 360 sq feet. It has been accoustic treated for audio.
          my amplifier is OK for 802, I am also considering adding another one for bi-amp. That will mean 2 X 250W for both sides.
          This is how my room look

Comment

• misterdoggy
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Plenty of room to do what you want. Looks like the distance from the speakers is greater than the distance between the speakers. If it was the case you could separate your current setup more. Anyhow, worth trying different positions.

Comment

• RNKC
              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by misterdoggy
              I will have to wait some time before the wife calms down, before even mentioning any Hifi parts.
              I was kinda wondering how Mrs. Doggy takes all your upgrading. :

Comment

• Aldo
                • Sep 2005

I beleive the problem is the door! That's why he could not separate the speakers more!
                Last edited by Aldo; 22 September 2006, 16:40 Friday.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by RNKC
                  I was kinda wondering how Mrs. Doggy takes all your upgrading. :
                  Well I'm in the "Car" domaine today. She jumped up and down, but when she heard it was automatic I was OK.

Comment

• chowhwk
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                    Plenty of room to do what you want. Looks like the distance from the speakers is greater than the distance between the speakers. If it was the case you could separate your current setup more. Anyhow, worth trying different positions.

Thank you.

The seating position is the same distance from the midpoint between the speakers and the distance between the speakers.

I will experiment the postioning.

Do you find the D's high frequency to be smoother ?

Comment

• misterdoggy
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

I can't personally answer as I did not have the "n"s but Have shared what I have heard in this forum and read. There is a definite clear improvement no question about it.

Comment

• William
                        • Aug 2006

I went from 804 Natalins to 803D's so I can't comment on the low end but I can on the high. I have always favored metel dome tweeters over plastic. The metel does a much better good of reproducing most highs especially cymbals and brass harmonics. Where they tend to falter (and the Nautilus and S tweeters are some the most notorious) is with "softer" type harmonics like strings. Metal tends to sound harsh and abrasive. The Diamond's seems to strike a fantastic balance between them, giving that true metel sound to steel strings, bell or cymbal but still reproducing soothing harmonics from cat gut strings and violins.

Comment

• chowhwk
                          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by William
                          I went from 804 Natalins to 803D's so I can't comment on the low end but I can on the high. I have always favored metel dome tweeters over plastic. The metel does a much better good of reproducing most highs especially cymbals and brass harmonics. Where they tend to falter (and the Nautilus and S tweeters are some the most notorious) is with "softer" type harmonics like strings. Metal tends to sound harsh and abrasive. The Diamond's seems to strike a fantastic balance between them, giving that true metel sound to steel strings, bell or cymbal but still reproducing soothing harmonics from cat gut strings and violins.

Wililam
                          Thanks for the input.
                          That is exactly what I am a little bothered with the N802 with the aluminum tweeter. I have tried very hard to manage the little harshness for the strings which are perfectly okay for brass and percussions.
                          I am a violin fan, the quality of string reproduction counts in a lot in my final consideration.

Comment

• caleb
                            • Aug 2004

chowhwk - just did exactly what you are proposing and havent looked back.

Best improvement you could make in my opinion.

Comment

• chowhwk
                              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by caleb
                              chowhwk - just did exactly what you are proposing and havent looked back.

Best improvement you could make in my opinion.
                              thanks for the encouragement.
                              the 800D has a tighter bass, do I need to do anything with the amplifiers ?

Comment

• caleb
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chowhwk
                                thanks for the encouragement.
                                the 800D has a tighter bass, do I need to do anything with the amplifiers ?
                                If you are driving your 802s to a decent level, then your 800s should also be O.K.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"