X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charles
    • Jul 2006

Krell FPB-700cx too much for my 803s

My dealer is selling his demo FPB-700cx and FPB-300cx amps and after reading reviews the 700 stands well ahead. Would a 700wpc amp on the 803s be an extreme overkill and speaker killer? The 300 seems to be a better match powerwise, but the 700 is suppose to be far superior in warmth and sound stage. Thanks for your input.
    Charles
  • johan
    • Dec 2004

Hi Charles!

It can never be too much but I am using a Fpb300cx with my N802's and thats ok. So I'm sure the 300 will be enough but if you get the 700 there is no speaker you cant by ever because of underpower anyway.

Cheers Johan.

Comment

• Eliav
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Charles
      My dealer is selling his demo FPB-700cx and FPB-300cx amps and after reading reviews the 700 stands well ahead. Would a 700wpc amp on the 803s be an extreme overkill and speaker killer? The 300 seems to be a better match powerwise, but the 700 is suppose to be far superior in warmth and sound stage. Thanks for your input.
      Charles
      I say get the 700 watts if you like the Krell sound!!
      I have used two 400watt monoblocks on my 803s before swithcing to 802d, All I can say is that your 803s are going to SING with this amount of power.
      I would advice you though to audition the combo carefully before you get blinded by the bargain and the watts, some falks find B&W + Krell to be very dynamic yet bright, many report of fatigue with prolonged listening....Trust your ears on this
      Good luck
      Eliav
      :T Socrat

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

The 700cx won't be too much, but at the same time, it's not necessary to have that much power. If money's not an issue, then you'll have an amp that will drive anything in going with the 700.

I've never been a big fan of the "Krell sound," but I haven't heard any of the newer generation amps.
        Danish

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

their evolution stuff is a lot better than their older stuff. i would demo it before you buy. its a big investment. i've heard the 700 on a pair of 802d's.
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Aldo
            • Sep 2005

It is too much for the 700, you can drive does speakers with 100 krell watts, if you intend to upgrade your speakers in the future go for the Krell, If you dont, do not spend that much.
            I have that amp, It is power hungry, it will roket your electric bill and it gets HOT, very hot even when it is on stanby!
            And it looks like a parking car in your hall!
            I'm not shure about the Evolution "better" statement, they look like a KAV upgrade no FPB upgrade, I would better look at Mark Levinson!
            And remember my main's have a 700cx Krell!

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

heh, my dealer blew took out the power in the building he leases an office for when he plugged the 700 in. make sure you have a dedicated outlet for it if you do go that route. it is extreme overkill.

the common feeling is that krell is all power, no refinement. the evolution series was built to change this and add refinement to the power. give them a listen and form your own opinion. some think ML is very sterile, so to each his own. different strokes for different folks.
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• kurtholz
                • Feb 2005

It is funny how brands seem to get branded with there style of play, i have FPB350's and HTS 5 channel, i would describe it as being extremely refined, with limitless power, but it might be attributed to the 802d's tweeter, and the magic marbles placed thru the room

:-)

Kurt

Comment

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
                  heh, my dealer blew took out the power in the building he leases an office for when he plugged the 700 in. make sure you have a dedicated outlet for it if you do go that route. it is extreme overkill.

the common feeling is that krell is all power, no refinement. the evolution series was built to change this and add refinement to the power. give them a listen and form your own opinion. some think ML is very sterile, so to each his own. different strokes for different folks.
                  HI,
                  Boy, you are running around with people I don't know!!! No refinement??? Please.

Sparky

Comment

• georgev
                    • Jul 2004

To go back to your original question about whether it woul be an overkill, no I don't think so, because there really is no such thing as too much power. On the other hand, ask a different question, Is it neccessary for the 803's as compared to the 300, the answer is probably, No.
                    As you WILL upgrade your speakers in future, you will need more power, so if the 700 is not too much more, go for it with the future 800D's in mind.
                    Seriously, audition both with your 803's, I doubt you will notice any difference to the 803's.
                    Enjoy.
                    George.

Comment

• Charles
                      • Jul 2006

Thank you all for your experience. The 700 is going to be about $2700 more than the 300 and figured like some of you said I would be finished in the amp department. I am 70/30 HT to music so the Krell dynamics and suggested brighter sound may be what I'm looking for in movies. Next week I am going to ask my dealer about bringing the Krells home to demo, then attempt the same with the Classe dealer across town. There is no Mark Levinson dealer in my state, so it will have be between the 2. I'm going to try not to be influenced by the Krell's at half price during these auditions, but it does put them in the running. For now I will have to accomplish this using my B&K ref 50 prepro, hopefully this will still give me a good and valid test. Again, thanks for your advice and fell free to add more.

Comment

• Jesse111
                        • Jul 2005

You could potentally fry the 803 with 200 watts more than the rated ability of the speaker. But I would never pass up a chance to get more power if the deal was right. Just don't over drive the speaker. Be responsible. The extra power will further control the bass and the amp will run cooler. I can tell when a speaker is straining. It's usually extremely loud and it's not necessary to drive them that loud. But sometimes it happens. If someone leaves your volume up and you turn on your system, BOOM! Your 803's will be gone.

Personally, I'd get the 700 without thinking twice if funds weren't an issue but I"m also confident I'd never burn the speaker. Plus, when you manage to get to the 802 or 800 (and you surely will one day :W ) you'll be ready.

I run the 800D on Mac 501's. The 1201's have been known to fry the 800. Will that stop me from getting the 1201's in a few months? No way. But I won't fry my 800D's. When I was 18 years old...possibly. Will I fry them now? Nope.

Comment

• jericho
                          • Dec 2004

I've got 1201's on my 800D's and it's a big difference compared to those 501's.I still got a 501 on my HTM1D but intend to change it too.Going to put a 1201 on also and keep the 501's as surround

Originally posted by Jesse111
                          You could potentally fry the 803 with 200 watts more than the rated ability of the speaker. But I would never pass up a chance to get more power if the deal was right. Just don't over drive the speaker. Be responsible. The extra power will further control the bass and the amp will run cooler. I can tell when a speaker is straining. It's usually extremely loud and it's not necessary to drive them that loud. But sometimes it happens. If someone leaves your volume up and you turn on your system, BOOM! Your 803's will be gone.

Personally, I'd get the 700 without thinking twice if funds weren't an issue but I"m also confident I'd never burn the speaker. Plus, when you manage to get to the 802 or 800 (and you surely will one day :W ) you'll be ready.

I run the 800D on Mac 501's. The 1201's have been known to fry the 800. Will that stop me from getting the 1201's in a few months? No way. But I won't fry my 800D's. When I was 18 years old...possibly. Will I fry them now? Nope.

Comment

• Jesse111
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by jericho
                            I've got 1201's on my 800D's and it's a big difference compared to those 501's.I still got a 501 on my HTM1D but intend to change it too.Going to put a 1201 on also and keep the 501's as surround
                            Thanks Jericho. I actually didn't expect to hear any difference in quality per say. But, can you give me an idea of the big differences you hear? You'd be the man to talk to since you've had both. I'm actually looking very much forward to getting the 1201's as soon as the funding becomes available.

Comment

• jericho
                              • Dec 2004

I'll try to explain, sometimes difficult in English because I'm from Belgium, we only speak Flemish or French.I find the bass is a lot tighter and when there are large differences between loud and quiet passages, the reaction of the amps is different.It's like driving a Porch Boxter at 1OO Mph and pumping the gass will be different doing the same with a Porch 911.
                              You hear there 's a lot of power behind those 1201's although the 501's are one of the finest Amp's Mac has.You do need a lot of Amperes to drive those 1201's to the top that's a fact.

Thanks Jericho. I actually didn't expect to hear any difference in quality per say. But, can you give me an idea of the big differences you hear? You'd be the man to talk to since you've had both. I'm actually looking very much forward to getting the 1201's as soon as the funding becomes available.

Comment

• Jesse111
                                • Jul 2005

That explanation is well done. Your illustration with the Porche's makes your point very well. I am certain that will own the 1201's within a year.

Comment

• tboooe
                                  • Jun 2005

Will that stop me from getting the 1201's in a few months? No way. But I won't fry my 800D's. When I was 18 years old...possibly. Will I fry them now? Nope.
                                  Hey Jesse111: so you made the decision to get the 1201's???? AWESOME!!!! I am soooooooo close to pulling the trigger on the Pass Labs x600.5 monos, just in time for winter!

Quick question, the only time you can "fry" a speaker when applying a lot of power is when the volume is too loud right? Your comments got me a little paranoid about killing my 802d!

Comment

• Jesse111
                                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by tboooe
                                    Hey Jesse111: so you made the decision to get the 1201's???? AWESOME!!!! I am soooooooo close to pulling the trigger on the Pass Labs x600.5 monos, just in time for winter!

Quick question, the only time you can "fry" a speaker when applying a lot of power is when the volume is too loud right? Your comments got me a little paranoid about killing my 802d!
                                    Yep, I'm going for the big dogs. As soon as the money gets right, I'm there.

Too loud is a tough call to make but essentially the answer is yes. Over driving the speaker will burn it and burn it good. Distortion however is a good indication of over driving. The problem is with high end gear like we have, distortion is hard to produce. By the time we hear it, we've gone over the top in many cases. If you hear distortion you better make a move quick. That's one reason I like McIntosh gear. The working meters add visual aid to keep from damage when the ears may not be quite so sensitive after a few cocktails. The 802's are top quality speakers and can take it. But any speaker can be fried. Be careful my friend and don't fry those beautiful 802D's. I'd get the PL's if it was me. Post some pics when you have those honeys installed. :T

Comment

• Eliav
                                      • Jul 2005

tboooe
                                      I wonder, have you ever had the chance to audition these beasts with the cp700/802d ?
                                      I wish Classe would come out with a 600 watts monos, I will be the first to palce an order :W
                                      Eliav

Comment

• tboooe
                                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Eliav
                                        tboooe
                                        I wonder, have you ever had the chance to audition these beasts with the cp700/802d ?
                                        I wish Classe would come out with a 600 watts monos, I will be the first to palce an order :W
                                        Eliav
                                        Eliav, I have heard the Pass with lots of speakers including JM Focal Labs, Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustics, Audio Physics, and 802D but never with the CP-700. I have also bever done an A-B comparison between the CA-M400. My audio memory (which we all know is imperfect at best) tells me that the Pass and Classe are pretty similar in sound. They are both very smooth sounding, with the Pass sounding just a tad warmer (which I like). I also felt that the Pass had a little more dynamics and bottom end extension. I could have been happy with either amp but I was thinking about the future and I know the Pass beasts can easily power anything I may upgrade to in the future (800d). That being said, I dont deny that maybe my mind wanted to find the differences between the Pass and Classe. Who knows...the bottom line is that I am happy with the decision to purchase the Pass. I also agree with you that Classe should make a monster amp, if only to sell to crazy audio nuts like you, me, and Jesse111.

Comment

• Eliav
                                          • Jul 2005

Eliav, I have heard the Pass with lots of speakers including JM Focal Labs, Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustics, Audio Physics, and 802D but never with the CP-700. I have also bever done an A-B comparison between the CA-M400. My audio memory (which we all know is imperfect at best) tells me that the Pass and Classe are pretty similar in sound. They are both very smooth sounding, with the Pass sounding just a tad warmer (which I like). I also felt that the Pass had a little more dynamics and bottom end extension. I could have been happy with either amp but I was thinking about the future and I know the Pass beasts can easily power anything I may upgrade to in the future (800d). That being said, I dont deny that maybe my mind wanted to find the differences between the Pass and Classe. Who knows...the bottom line is that I am happy with the decision to purchase the Pass. I also agree with you that Classe should make a monster amp, if only to sell to crazy audio nuts like you, me, and Jesse111.
                                          :lol:
                                          You know, i was just reading a review on the halcro dm58 monoblocks ( 22k$) one of the reviewers ranked them as ' best amps ever". I have auditioned them with the wilson audio maxx speakers ( not sure about the exact name, very big, ugly speakers looking like a multiple fragmented parts assembley, sounded very big and open.), to my ears the combo sounded great but nothing to make me drop my jaw or throw 100k$ for. what I am trying to say is what we all know, we love paying MUCH more for some marginal improvemnt in dynamics/warmth etc.. :lol:
                                          When I decide to go for the 800d ( no intentions at the moment, I love the 802d), I will probably bi amp them with Classe cam400, that is unless Classe comes with a new monster....

Comment

• Jesse111
                                            • Jul 2005

I also agree with you that Classe should make a monster amp, if only to sell to crazy audio nuts like you, me, and Jesse111.
                                            You got that right tboooe. The good news is, I'm trying to work a deal right now on the 1201's. If this dealer will see his way to shave off a few more dollars on the deal, I may be able to pull it off. We shall see.

A pair of One thousand two hundred big beautiful blue McIntosh mono block watts into a pair of 800D's. Mmmmmmmmmmm...life is goooooooood.

Comment

• Charles
                                              • Jul 2006

1201's would be sweet!! Hopefully your dealer comes to your way of thinking and those bad boys will be heated up soon. I just talked to my dealer today about a demo on a couple of amps and got put off a week or 2. Seems he had a water pipe bust in his store flooding it. His place is big and full of B&W's, Wilsons and Krell. I didn't ask about details, but we all know big speakers and most mono blocks sit on the floor.

Comment

• Jesse111
                                                • Jul 2005

Water damage can cause damage that may not show up for months down the road. Cosmetic damage is one thing but water damge carodes over time. It may be a chance to score big time on some high end stuff but be cautious. Very cautious.

Let us know how things work out.

Comment

• Charles
                                                  • Jul 2006

Your exactly right on the corrosion. I probably won't be a player on any of the gear that has been wet. I'm in the amp upgrade stage and wanted to demo the Krells he has to decide if thats the sound I'm looking for. The broken pipes may have put a "dampner" on this Going across town hopefully this weekend to listen to Classe and Mac. There are no ML dealers in Georgia or close enough in SC or NC. After hours of research it should come down to Krell, Mac or Classe.

Comment

• Jesse111
                                                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Charles
                                                    After hours of research it should come down to Krell, Mac or Classe.
                                                    You certainly have a good ear. Three excellent choices. I've owned the Classe M400's and now own Mac 501's. Have not heard Krell but no doubt it's excellent as well. I would be happy with either Classe or Mac but the Mac won me over for my personal taste.

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"